Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil Cooler Bypass question; Need clarification

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Cooler Bypass question; Need clarification

So I need some input after mixed research. I'm bypassing my oil cooler (temporarily) and just put plugs where the lines would usually go M18x1.5

Now some people said they ran it like this no problem, others are saying you have to eliminate the oil thermostat because that can restrict oil flow to the engine galley if fully opened.

What should I do?!? Should I maybe loop the line? Or leave it as is. Currently, I took the retaining clip and spring assembly off the thermo so oil should be able to pass thru with no problem. I'm also thinking about getting that VW drain bolt to block off the thermo completly until I'm ready to put my cooler back on.

Basically just trying to find the right way to do this! I searched but am still a little confused thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by Importsnrice; Jul 20, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 01:05 AM

Accidental double post
Old Jul 20, 2015, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I looped mine for a while, then plugged them, then deleted the thermostat after 10k of running with them plugged. Honestly I would just plug them and delete the thermostat, I've ran it for quite some time with no issue, and normal oil temps. If you plan on tracking more than the occaisional auto-x, I would get a new cooler.

If it really is as temporary as you think, just loop the lines.

That VW plug part number in the oil plug thread was no good for me, the plug was the wrong size. So I just broke the thermostat off of the base, and used it to plug the hole.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
I looped mine for a while, then plugged them, then deleted the thermostat after 10k of running with them plugged. Honestly I would just plug them and delete the thermostat, I've ran it for quite some time with no issue, and normal oil temps. If you plan on tracking more than the occaisional auto-x, I would get a new cooler.

If it really is as temporary as you think, just loop the lines.

That VW plug part number in the oil plug thread was no good for me, the plug was the wrong size. So I just broke the thermostat off of the base, and used it to plug the hole.
Thanks! I'll definitely try that out. How are your pressures?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Hasn't changed a bit, about 15-25 at hot idle, around 75-80 when crusing. That's the same I used to have before.