Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Double Pumper Install Fail

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Double Pumper Install Fail

I installed a Buschur Double Pumper last night and this morning and had a really tough time figuring out where to drop the Y line under the car so that I still got a good fitment from fuel filter to the old fuel line.

I think I left the line from the fuel filter to the old fuel line sitting with enough bend to cause the line to be partially pinched off for too long. I didn't even think about it and tried to start the car and it started and died instantly and I went to inspect the fuel pump housing and could hear a slight hissing and I was leaking fuel from the line coming off the primary pump. I guess the pinched line caused a loss of pressure to the motor and over pressurized the fuel pump area.

I put channel locks on the kinked line after adjusting where the fuel filter sat to see if that will help the line form back to its normal shape.

Is it likely that I caused a problem trying to start the car and do you think the line will retain its old shape after being held in that shape for a period of time?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Forgot to add that I had a good bit of fuel leak under the car and it didn't look like the fitting I was looking at leaked much so the Y connector was probably leaking.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just buy some new hose. Most auto part stores have different size fuel hoses.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

So you don't think the pressure coming back would have hurt anything?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Highly doubt it.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Cool. Thanks. I appreciate your input on questions I've had recently.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

I just tried to start the car again after getting the kink out of that line and the car died immediately again without the pressure coming back towards the pump. I think the fuel leaking was because I didn't put back every nut on the ring that presses down to seal the fuel pump assembly in the opening. Unless the line is pinched where I ran it under the car I don't see how it is pinched off anywhere now.

The car doesn't even try to idle. It dies immediately. Last time I had this problem was when I didn't know to bypass the resistor pack after changing to high impedance injectors. I've read double pumper install instructions so it doesn't seem like I could be missing anything like that.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Another thing to note... Does it make a difference the orientation of the H siphon lines? I didn't pay attention to which side got the long line on it when I put it back on. Hopefully I don't have to pull the housing back out. That retaining ring is a pain to get back on.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

You have to get all the air out first it will take a minute. what fpr you running? Do you have a way to test fuel pressure that's where to start.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
You have to get all the air out first it will take a minute. what fpr you running? Do you have a way to test fuel pressure that's where to start.
Stock FPR. It turned over and didn't start the first time and then has started but instantly died twice since then is why I didn't think that would still be a problem. I don't have a way to test fuel pressure... Well is there a stock sensor I can log in EvoScan?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the orientation of the siphon pump does matter

Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
Another thing to note... Does it make a difference the orientation of the H siphon lines? I didn't pay attention to which side got the long line on it when I put it back on. Hopefully I don't have to pull the housing back out. That retaining ring is a pain to get back on.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kelvinTME
Yes the orientation of the siphon pump does matter
So would this being backwards result in low enough fuel pressure for the car to die as soon as it's started? Looks like I might have to pull the pumps back out.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

My H siphon happened to be hooked up correctly according to other pictures I've seen. I did noticed that I pulled the white fitting loose when messing with something. Would this cause a problem and if so can I just push it back down or does it need a special sealant or something?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I pushed down the white fitting and tapped it with the rubber handle of my pliers and started the car and it started up and idled fine. I did notice that I leaked fuel.

Would not having the little ring pushing down on the fuel pump housing to seal it cause fuel to leak out around it? I guess I need to put the ring back on or get someone to watch to see where the fuel is coming from.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Made a new thread because this question is no longer about what could be wrong with my double pumper install. Can't seem to find any threads about broken valves on housings.