Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New FP green dosent sound right

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New FP green dosent sound right

2005 Evo 8
I just installed a brand new FP green from fp directly. Unfortunately I had to run with an open downpipe for about half that time because my flange on my exhaust had a different flange from my downpipe. Now I have the whole exhaust hooked up and it sounds not good.

The sound sounds like a supercharger and is extremely quiet compared to my stock turbo I had on it. I checked for shaft play and there is none. No contact on compressor housing. No smoking either. It also boosts fine.

I haven't done a boost leak test yet but that will be done today. The quiet part is what scares me. Why is it much quieter than my stock turbo?

Last edited by apedog; Aug 13, 2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Does it have the anti surge compressor cover, or the stock appearing cover? Is it journal bearing or ball bearing? We will probably need a video of it. Your post is confusing. You say it sounds like a super charger, but then you say its quiet..
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Does it have the anti surge compressor cover, or the stock appearing cover? Is it journal bearing or ball bearing? We will probably need a video of it. Your post is confusing. You say it sounds like a super charger, but then you say its quiet..
Yes it has an anti surge cover and is also ball bearing. For the quiet part I meant it is quieter than my stock turbo I just had on it. Like the stock 16g spooled louder than the FP green I have on now. The FP green spools but has like a supercharger whine but it's quiet. I expected it to be louder than the stock turbo.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I'm not understanding your noise. The anti surge cover makes quite a whistle/whine/whooshing noise while the turbo is climbing into boost, and the turbo makes a bit of a whistle once on boost. As long as it doesn't sound like a kazoo, you're probably fine...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I'm not understanding your noise. The anti surge cover makes quite a whistle/whine/whooshing noise while the turbo is climbing into boost, and the turbo makes a bit of a whistle once on boost. As long as it doesn't sound like a kazoo, you're probably fine...
Alright maybe it is the antisurge housing then. I've never had any experience with one so maybe I'm not used to hearing the noise.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
if it's boosting fine, you are probably good.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe you think its quiet since you had it running without an exhaust. I would say the anti surge housing makes a wooooo type noise that gets louder with more boost haha