Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can you reinforce a 6speed MR Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 04:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ridenrunwv
I just got off the phone with Shep and he said they are no longer building the 6 speed. He said they started back for just a little bit but now aren't building them again and doesn't see them starting back.
Looks like Jack's is the place to go now
Old Oct 8, 2015, 06:56 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Jesus. Must be, like, 1000whp. Very nice.
530whp
Old Oct 8, 2015, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Jack's gear set is all us 6spd guys need to handle about 500hp and some occasional track days?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 09:33 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by e30_pilot
So Jack's gear set is all us 6spd guys need to handle about 500hp and some occasional track days?
shep advertised it as 600 hp. Not sure if that is wheel hp on a dyno or brake-hp at the crank.

My car was measured on buschur's dyno (tuned by david)

I would guess that would put me over 600 hp at the flywheel (there is some debate about this)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:21 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Usually quoted as flywheel HP, so if go with that.
I'll never see more than 400-450whp, so count me in.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Torque is what you should be worried about.

But yes my 6 Speed should be here tomorrow from Shepard, Upgraded 3,4,5 gears with rebuild.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Jesus. Must be, like, 1000whp. Very nice.

I'm not sure how much extra shifting is really involved (I still use 1-4 at the track, I just like the ratios better on the 6), but the 6spd is heavy. I just had to literally bench press mine on last week (engine hoist just wasn't working for me). Sucker wore me out, by the time I was done with all the holding/wiggling.
Yeah, that is a good point too. I have always wondered how much of a difference the 5 spd would make during auto-x, whether it would give me a bit more in 2nd gear so I didn't have to ride the limiter in places. I would say overall it might be a bit of a wash. Don't get me wrong, I love my Shep built 6 spd

Also, how are you using the engine hoist? Last time I did it, I put the engine/trans together outside of the car, and then lifted the front of the car as high as possible and lifted the engine/trans into place using the hoist from above the engine bay. Had my wife lift the hoist while I wiggled the engine into place. Worked pretty slick. So, apparently all you need to swap a motor is beer and chicks. Anyway, something to try next time, unless it just wasn't working with the engine already in there.

Old Oct 9, 2015, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MechNARP
Yeah, that is a good point too. I have always wondered how much of a difference the 5 spd would make during auto-x, whether it would give me a bit more in 2nd gear so I didn't have to ride the limiter in places. I would say overall it might be a bit of a wash. Don't get me wrong, I love my Shep built 6 spd

Also, how are you using the engine hoist? Last time I did it, I put the engine/trans together outside of the car, and then lifted the front of the car as high as possible and lifted the engine/trans into place using the hoist from above the engine bay. Had my wife lift the hoist while I wiggled the engine into place. Worked pretty slick. So, apparently all you need to swap a motor is beer and chicks. Anyway, something to try next time, unless it just wasn't working with the engine already in there.

The only way you'll be more MPH would be to run the 4.11 or 4.08 final drive on the 5 speed. The differences in speed between the 5 and 6 gearbox is minimal. Even 1st-4th gear from the IX 5 speed is similar to the 6 speed as far as MPH.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
I've had TRE build my 6 speed, nearly impossible to give hard numbers on how it will do but it feels great and per TRE it's rated to more than what I'm making torque-wise.

Prob the best trans for road racing is the evo 9 gears with evo 8 3rd and 4th - had Shep build that for me, felt quite good.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 07:41 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Got me really interested in this. I'm aiming for 410-420whp for a weekend HPDE car. Glad to hear TRE, Jacks and Shep are still putting effort out into our cars!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Got me really interested in this. I'm aiming for 410-420whp for a weekend HPDE car. Glad to hear TRE, Jacks and Shep are still putting effort out into our cars!
on the wifemobile? or you get another 8/9 MR?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:49 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by MechNARP

Out of the car is 1,000,000 times easier. But I had just put everything in and then remembered I didn't torque the flywheel bolts. I really wasn't looking forward to redoing everything. I used the hoist attached to the small loop on the top of the trans. I was largely able to manipulate it that way. In the end, I couldn't get it to rotate, lift, and move where I wanted so I sacked up and bench pressed it on. What a pain in the *** LOL.
I definitely prefer pulling the engine.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63 Sloth
I know Jacks Transmissions came out with a 3rd-5th gear set for the evo 8/9 MRs not sure who has used them yet but here's the link:

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/co...set-evo-8-9-mr
finally an alternative to shep.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Just to clarify, it was known Shep was dealing with a vendor in Australia for the original 3, 4 and 5 gearset, but no one knew who. Now that Jack's has the "Albins" upgrade, we know it's the same upgrade.

Jack's doesn't seem to have the FD upgrade, though.
the fd raises all gears. i've been told this makes 1st gear too tall for painless dd.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Just to clarify, it was known Shep was dealing with a vendor in Australia for the original 3, 4 and 5 gearset, but no one knew who. Now that Jack's has the "Albins" upgrade, we know it's the same upgrade.

I just spoke to jack's and they verified its the same gear set.

Quick Reply: Can you reinforce a 6speed MR Tranny?