Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD/AYC Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SVT
You don't want AYC. It eliminates understeer and oversteer. Oversteer is the best thing since html.
AYC does not eliminate oversteer or understeer. i.e. it is still possible to understeer or oversteer in an AYC-equipped car.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GDB
I have ACD/AYC and I'm actually thinking of replacing it with an aftermarket Cusco LSD.

IMHO ACD/AYC does work wonders but I'm now curious what an aftermarket unit can do to improve my lap times and/or rear-drive bias (i.e. fun).
Find someone with an RS

Just out of curiosity, what is your lap timing at PG? Under 1:50?
Old Mar 25, 2004, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zstryder
I know Claudis and a lot of other Euro guys had lots of negative stuff to say about the AYC. He had a TME6 and was always complaining about how bad the AYC was and how it made the car ridiculously hard to drive. I think he ended up taking his AYC out and replaced it with just a normal LSD (like ours).

Given his knowledge/experience with the Evo's, I'd trust his judgment. ACD on the other hand, that might be pretty useful in the rain or on the gravel..
Different strokes for different folks.

Point to note, he was referring to the TME6.... and remember the AYC has gone through 2 iterations since then (3, if you count the MR).

It's like how some people swear at or swear by ABS... personally, I believe ABS will make a good driver even better under poor traction conditions. Just like AYC/ACD.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

I have ACD/AYC, and I love it. In a round about, I can control the oversteering angle up to 10-20 degree, more thorttle steeper angle, the car can stay in that angle for as long as I want. The only bad thing is that I am getting too use to it. When I drive other car without AYC, my instinct is to use the thorttle to control the heading like my E7, but that usually result in lossing control. I don't know weather the "Active Yaw Control" reduce lap time or it is only a useless stun, I sure drive better with it.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

You can't go off Claudius's opinion, its HIS and is biased towards his likes & disklikes. remember Ayc & ACD are now under the direct control of 1 ecu and the system just plain works better than the pre evo 7 cars...

when i had my Evo 6 RS, i used to say how I never wanted an AYC rear diff... but now..... I must confess....... I LOVE IT.

What changed my mind? ... well one day this little turbo Civic **** decided to race me on the long road to the airport... I went into the roundabout at 60mph without any hint of understeer and exited without any hint of oversteer. I have done that in the E6 and i had loads of understeer...
Old Mar 25, 2004, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I do infact remember Claudius talking about the ACD/AYC and how he disliked it. Althought I trusted Claudius's opinion (where is he now anyway?), I would much rather try it for myself. I have infact heard it is a bit more difficult to drive, but it gives a bit more versetality in such.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Claudius ended up leaving because there seemed to be a very immature crowd with regards to the Evo when it first got here. There were so many DSM and Evo know it alls that would dispute anything and everything Claudius said about the Evo. Oh well, it's a shame, because Claudius had a lot to offer to the community and was very willing to help us learn. I remember he had those upgrade path stickies in tech forum, for performance, suspension etc... those were really useful and I kind of miss them.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:20 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Crufty Dusty

Find someone with an RS

Just out of curiosity, what is your lap timing at PG? Under 1:50?
Nope, I wish

PG I don't dare to push too hard, I only ran there twice in my life, second session yielded a leisurely 1:56 fastest lap.

Sepang I do push it very, very hard. I ran a high 2:44 (though typically in 2:45), mostly stock car (filter drop-in and recirc BOV as 'mods'). Even still have the 180km/h speed limiter.

ANYWAY back to the point: I agree with Crufty. AYC definitely does NOT eliminate understeer/oversteer.

BY DEFAULT, AYC will make the car run neutral. But of course you can coax it into oversteer, just flick the steering wheel in the middle of corner. I've seen enough E7/E8/TME do this on the track.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Tends to cut down the oversteer fun prematurely..... brings the *** back in line quicker. Still fun to get sideways though.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GDB

BY DEFAULT, AYC will make the car run neutral. But of course you can coax it into oversteer, just flick the steering wheel in the middle of corner. I've seen enough E7/E8/TME do this on the track.
seriously, you don't have to flick the steering or do anything, just increase thortle, the AYC will start to shift power to the outside rear wheel to make it spin faster, and then the rear will slide out. This is a easy way for me to look like a pro.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 07:55 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Originally posted by raywong

seriously, you don't have to flick the steering or do anything, just increase thortle, the AYC will start to shift power to the outside rear wheel to make it spin faster, and then the rear will slide out. This is a easy way for me to look like a pro.
For me this works on a low-speed corner, 50-80kmh. Plus you probably have enough power to do it, my car is stock standard.

Anything in the 100kmh and above range, I have to flick the steering wheel.

Anyway I always setup my car to get very mild understeer for fast lap times. Set it up differently (tire pressures), yes throttle-driving is possible. Although I find that my lap times were not good, having too much fun I suppose...
Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GDB

Nope, I wish

PG I don't dare to push too hard, I only ran there twice in my life, second session yielded a leisurely 1:56 fastest lap.

Sepang I do push it very, very hard. I ran a high 2:44 (though typically in 2:45), mostly stock car (filter drop-in and recirc BOV as 'mods'). Even still have the 180km/h speed limiter.
Wow that's a pretty good time... I'm sure you'll get even better times with the limiter off since Sepang has quite a few long stretches.