Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Quieter exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quieter exhaust options

Hi guys,

I've got a catless exhaust (3in) with a resonator and then a muffler (small one) near the end of the exhaust.

The car is reasonably loud, but not too bad. No drone etc so it's a good exhaust.

BUT my neighbors hate me, and sometimes on longer trips I'd like to have it a bit quieter.

Could I put a cutout somewhere to quiet things down? I don't want to change my current exhaust since it works fine.

So %75 of the driving will be with the cutout open, and %25 with it closed (ie parking on driveway, etc)

Let me know your suggestions/options.
Thanks!

Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
How is a cutout going to quiet things down? Unless you mean going back to stock exhaust with a cutout
Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
How is a cutout going to quiet things down? Unless you mean going back to stock exhaust with a cutout
Well instead of the "cutout" re-routing the exhaust gases, it will just act like a throttle.

When I need the car to be quiet, I can close the flapper to about %90. (If it's fully closed the exhaust has no where to go lol)

I am just wondering if this will quiet the car down.

Here is a good example:

Installed on a car:

Last edited by Boosted4; Oct 15, 2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
A cutout doesn't work like you think it works, it would be louder with your current exhaust as it bypasses the muffler/resonator.

If you want quieter you'll have to add another resonator or change the muffler/exhaust set up.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted4
Well instead of the "cutout" re-routing the exhaust gases, it will just act like a throttle.

When I need the car to be quiet, I can close the flapper to about %90. (If it's fully closed the exhaust has no where to go lol)

I am just wondering if this will quiet the car down.
I wouldn't be surprised if that much exhaust reduction stalls the motor. Usually cutouts are an open/close affair I think as well. Lots of fab to get it to work correctly and it would kill performance.

Edit: Picture just loaded, I'm not quite sure how that would work on a turbo car. But I'm not an expert.

Last edited by Project_Broke; Oct 15, 2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Project_Broke
A cutout doesn't work like you think it works, it would be louder with your current exhaust as it bypasses the muffler/resonator.

If you want quieter you'll have to add another resonator or change the muffler/exhaust set up.

My fault, I guess I worded it wrong in my initial post.

Here is a sound clip with it installed.

Yes, the details need to be worked out on how much to close it. Performance is not an issue, I will not be looking for performance when in "quiet" mode.

Here is a video:
Old Oct 15, 2015, 08:19 AM

Another option is the VAREX muffler. It has a butterfly valve as well:
http://www.maperformance.com/map-cat...ution-8-9.html

Looks like a few people are running these on EVOs.

Last edited by Boosted4; Oct 15, 2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
for the longest time i was in your same situation, and also wanted the varex from MAP (couldnt do it because of price).
but after much thinking and trial error, i found my holy CBE. the works exhaust imo is the quietest you can get aside from stock. took a long time but i found one. if i sell my evo i dont even want to sell the works exhaust because its such a great looking / performing exhaust. altho it does have a mean 90* turn, but i dont care since mines 98% DD. can hardly hear it, long drives no problem, sitting in traffic cant hear it, but WOT its audible. no complaints at night from neighbors, nothing thus far.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before the Evo, I only had experience with DSM's as far as highly modified turbo cars. I always searched for a quieter exhaust, and I did as well when I finally got my Evo, as it came with a stock TBE. The Buschur 3" with Magnaflow muffler and high flow cat has got to be the nicest thing I've driven with a 4G63 in it... I have to turn the radio down to hear it sometimes! And I absolutely love the tone of it too! Been thinking about throwing a resonator in for the hell of it to see if I could quiet it down even more, but for what it's worth, this exhaust has been very good noise wise. I would recommend it with the high flow cat and the Magnaflow muffler, as opposed to the more straight through bullet muffler they offer.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
either run a normal exhaust, or get a stock exhaust with a cutout / o2 dump

theres a good reason that people aren't already doing what you're thinking of doing
Old Oct 15, 2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
either run a normal exhaust, or get a stock exhaust with a cutout / o2 dump

theres a good reason that people aren't already doing what you're thinking of doing
It looks like the varex muffler/catback exhaust might be a solution.
MAP sells it, just looking at review/details now.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware with the electric cutout, as the motor for the cutout switch often dies from the heat vented by the exhaust. Although this may be a hit or miss type of deal.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by k3lv
Beware with the electric cutout, as the motor for the cutout switch often dies from the heat vented by the exhaust. Although this may be a hit or miss type of deal.
Yep that's the only thing I am worried about. The motor is sold separately on MAP: http://www.maperformance.com/varex-m...r-xf-vk03.html

The car is not tracked, and never sees winter/salt.
If anybody could chime in on long term use with this muffler will be great!

Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2015, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is what I did.

I run a standard Megan exhaust (or something like that lol), and I took out my cat and put a vibrant 6" straight through 3" muffler in its place.
Now its quite.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Oct 19, 2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
Here is what I did.

I run a standard Megan exhaust (or something like that lol), and I took out my cat and put a vibrant 6" straight through 6" muffler in its place.
Now its quite.
Adding a small Vibrant or similar muffler is a really popular way to quiet down exhausts on all different cars. Doesn't seem to have a noticeable impact on performance either.

Quick Reply: Quieter exhaust options