Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Noise

Preparing for the worse already but looking for a conformation I guess. I was practicing my launches the other day on my Evo 8 and needless to say i got them down but not without a price. On one of my last launches I noticed it was a little hard for me to get into second from first. Then i would have trouble getting into reverse and so on. I let the car sit and got back into it like 5 hours later to see what was up.
I can get into every gear with ease when the clutch peddle is pressed in but as soon as i start letting off on it im getting a like metal like noise. I can also feel some vibration through the peddle as im letting off. This only happen when i release the peddle, no noise when its actually in gear and moving or when its pressed in. Car drives fine and only happen as it starts warming up. It will go a solid 10 minutes without this noise/vibration but as i continue driving it will happen again.
So I'm already preparing to replace the entire clutch but am wondering what you guys think this could be? Its an ACT 2600 so I'm fearing I maybe a broken finger or two (which they're known to do) but im also getting TOB problems for others. It make no noise in neutral or when pressed in. Only give me noise/feedback through the peddle as im releasing. Thanks guys
Old Oct 18, 2015, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it's pressure plate related
Old Oct 18, 2015, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does the pedal feel heavier than normal? I messed up the pressure plate on my Mustang and would get locked out of gears sometimes but the clutch never slipped and the car drove fine. The effort required to push in the clutch pedal with pressure plate worn was very high though. Probably even heavier than the heavy aftermarket single disc I replaced it with.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 08:59 AM

Im thinking its pressure plate related as well and this would mean going back to my original ACT broken finger hypothesis.
As for pedal feel, it requires the same amount of push its always need to engage and disengage.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 07:49 PM

Ok i got a video of the noise that i am having. The more i listen to it the more im fearing that I've stripped the clutch input shaft splines. Im really hoping that this is the case and the actual transmission input splines are ok. Has anyone stripped these before and had the trans splines remain intact?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOdW...ature=youtu.be
Old Oct 21, 2015, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not a clue at all but subscribed for the weird noise lol
Old Oct 21, 2015, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
Sounds like it's pressure plate related
I agree.
This happened to my Exedy TWin HD pressure plate also. Replaced it and all is fine.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:00 AM

Given the fact that I've had stripped splines on clutches in the past. My question is did your pedal engagement change after you noticed the noise, as in you can't predict where the release of the pedal is or did it remain the same?

Sometimes these metal discs on 6 puck clutches make noises like that during release but this one is much more noticeable than a "normal" amount of release.

It would take some serious clutch drops on your part to damage the splines of disc so I suspect if you were doing this and not letting off the pedal slower than just a complete lift of your foot from the clutch pedal that the weakest link got damaged.

Splines of street clutches now a days damage frequently because of the metal used to make them. I'm leaning on splines more than PP. PP would lock you in or out of gear more IMO.

Last edited by RogerFromFL; Oct 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 02:50 PM

I really hope the splines on the trans input shaft are fine. As for the pedal feel, its still the same as it was before all of this happened. I can however feel some vibration through it at times.
As for the launches that started all this mess they were not hard, i let the clutch slip with the e brake engaged.
But everything has been ordered and the car is coming apart this weekend. Ill be sure to update this thread as i go further into this project. Wish me luck guys :/
Old Oct 26, 2015, 05:09 PM

Ha! Well we were all wrong. Im so glad it wasn't the splines of the input shaft because i think i would have cried. I don't think anyone guess the actual spring on the disc hub cracking off its seat. It was rubbing on the pressure plate as the fingers were coming down on engagement, thus the metal on metal noise. POS ACT clutches... Never again. I knew my launches were on point and this still happened. Comp Stage 3 is in now and feel so much better than this ACT unit. However, i have the lame 500 mile break in No boost for a while.
Enjoy!

Name:  IMG_3817_zpssmtc29l2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  329.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3819_zpss28sm5fg.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  187.4 KB
Old Oct 27, 2015, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Wow. Did you get with ACT for a remedy?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 AM

Negative. ACT doesn't usually compensate for things like this since it came with the car when i bought it. Between me and my 4 relatively close car friends we have destroyed 6 ACT clutches within 10-20K of driving. Each of them has had one ACT pressure plate failure and I'm the first with a disc failure.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Well, good thing I didn't use their stuff for any of my cars. They have a local warehouse in town too.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 09:43 AM

ACT has always found some way to back out of warranties IMO. I've had at least 3 ACT clutches fail in my first start of using aftermarket clutches. It's truly a hit or miss with most warranties on performance parts, unless a "mass" amount are failing, like ACT.

I've since used clutch masters, spec and exedy high end clutches and haven't had issues.

I've had this exact issue on a street disc ACT where the spring housing broke like yours. They recommended a disc replacement, that's it.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:47 AM

I've had pretty good luck with the unsprung ACT clutch discs, but similar luck to yours with the sprung units. The ones still running are ones that came with cars, I refuse to buy their stuff anymore.