Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Re-use clutch after transmission swap?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 02:42 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re-use clutch after transmission swap?

Hi all,

I had a brand new ACT ME2-HDSS clutch kit with monoloc installed last August (just over a year ago). When I got the car back, 3rd gear was grinding immediately - the shop says it wasn't anything to do with them, but the grind wasn't there before I gave it to them. However, since the car came in with a clutch that wouldn't engage (ACT replaced the whole thing for me, which was awesome), they said there was no proof the grind wasn't there before. I'm thinking someone took it out for a test drive and mis-shifted in to 3rd, or something - no idea really. This is the same shop that forgot to bolt down my passenger side tie rod end, which almost fell off on the freeway which could have resulted in potential death since that wheel would be unsteerable (it was finger loose and on the last threads by the time it made noise and rumbled), so I don't trust them with any work any more.

Anyway, since it's been grinding, I haven't been driving it hard at all (in fact, we'd just been shifting from 2nd to 4th, so can't ever drive it hard). Now I'm getting the transmission replaced (Shep-built 600HP-capable 6-speed), I wanted to know the consensus on re-using the clutch that has barely any hard miles on it (probably only 12,000 miles on it over the last year). My gut is that of course I should re-use it, but just wanted to make sure here isn't some reason to replace it that I'm not thinking of... Of course it will be inspected when I remove it, but in general, I don't wanna budget another $700 for a clutch which is so new.

Thanks for any comments!

S.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 05:44 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
you can always reuse it, but it's best to keep it with the same flywheel, otherwise it could make noise. if the flywheel is different, then i'd have it resurfaced.

P.S. congrats on the transmission. what i wouldn't give for one of those....
Old Nov 1, 2015, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Measure the disk thickness. IIRC new they are .325, and done at .25 thickness.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd suggest a new disc for maximum life of the clutch unless you like pulling transmissions.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
But at the end you still need to adjust your clutch pedal.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:15 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Thanks all for the replies guys! I'll see what the disc looks like when it gets pulled.. I guess I could just replace the disc and re-use the pressure plate, monoloc, TOB, etc.

kaj - thanks for the congrats - can't wait to get it in - already have two back to back days booked at Laguna Seca the day after xmas!!

Thanks!

S.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 09:32 AM
kaj

Lucky! I don't pass the dB restriction at MRLS nor Sonoma. I'm about to tune on the stock exhaust LOL
Old Nov 11, 2015, 09:44 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Lucky! I don't pass the dB restriction at MRLS nor Sonoma. I'm about to tune on the stock exhaust LOL
You should look in to the "stocker than stock" TBE from RRE. It's pretty darn quiet but still 3" all the way. That's what I have right now. The tip is actually smaller than stock because the stock flares out at the tip for no good technical reason.

I usually run my Porsche at Laguna (I go pretty often - Laguna is my favorite track!) but will be running the Evo this time... I'm pretty confident it will make sound but to be honest I've not run it there before! I'll just fab a 90deg bend pipe that are so common at Laguna as my backup plan and install it if I get flagged!

Thanks!

S.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Rom
Thanks all for the replies guys! I'll see what the disc looks like when it gets pulled.. I guess I could just replace the disc and re-use the pressure plate, monoloc, TOB, etc.

kaj - thanks for the congrats - can't wait to get it in - already have two back to back days booked at Laguna Seca the day after xmas!!

Thanks!

S.
Even with the Shep 6-speed, I would make sure you run a transmission cooler if you haven't installed one already.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:41 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by Rom
You should look in to the "stocker than stock" TBE from RRE. It's pretty darn quiet but still 3" all the way..
i checked their site and actually didn't see any exhausts. maybe i need to dig deeper. i only looked into "evo 8/9 parts".

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Even with the Shep 6-speed, I would make sure you run a transmission cooler if you haven't installed one already.
you make it sound so easy LOL.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
you make it sound so easy LOL.
It is. Here, do it in 3 easy steps.

1) Buy transmission cooler.

2) Have a guy fab it up and install it.

3) Pay the guy.

Easy, breezy
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:10 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
It is. Here, do it in 3 easy steps.

1) Buy transmission cooler.

2) Have a guy fab it up and install it.

3) Pay the guy.

Easy, breezy
LOL that does sound pretty easy. I got the -an fitting for the top, but I'm scared to crack the case open LOL. Then I'll fit one to the drain. I found a cooler to use, saved somewhere in my browser favorites.

I should get the stuff together for the next time the trans comes off.

Unless I can do it in the car. Hmmmm....
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:57 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i checked their site and actually didn't see any exhausts. maybe i need to dig deeper. i only looked into "evo 8/9 parts".
http://roadraceengineering.com/blog/...ust-dyno-test/

That's them talking about it - they officially call it their "RRE Stealth", but when you call them up they'll tell you it looks "stocker than stock". They don't seem to have it on their parts list online, but call them up and they'll tell you all about it. I took it there to have it fitted and they did a custom fit for me to make sure it all fit properly (I actually went there for a dyno test, but then when they told me about it, I bought it and had it fitted on the spot, replacing my Apexi Noir cat-back, which made a world of difference)!

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.NER
Good point Erik - thanks! I will speak to Trevor@Shep about it and have them pre-prep it for easy cooler install

Thanks!

S.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Resurface the flywheel at a minimum.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
+1 for re-use the clutch if you're keeping the same flywheel. If flywheel is changing, i have no idea.