Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo ix hard to shift keeps blowing ignition fuse

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo ix hard to shift keeps blowing ignition fuse

No idea if these are directly related but I think it's a little too coincidental that they both started happening at the same time. Went out for a drive got on it went to shift into 4th and it started grinding. It's been tough to shift lately in general lately since clutch install. Only when the rpms are about 6k or so. Anyway after it started grinding I backed off put her in neutral and coasted to a stop. The clutch pedal pulsates even when slightly applying pressure and the car is hard to put in gear. I finally get it into gear go to take off and it stalls out and won't turn back on. I checked and found the 10amp ignition fuse blown changed it out fired right up got it into first car feels like it wants to die but I limp it home. Go to turn it on again 10amp fuse blown again and still very hard to get into gear. Kinda stumped any ideas?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:35 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
based on the info given, not related. strange coincidence, though. something sounds way off on the clutch. sounds like the pedal needs adjusting.
the fuse is another issue.

the problem could be something else, it's hard to tell by reading one single post.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Maybe the shift levers are rubbing wiring harness.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 04:06 PM

Shifts smooth when the car is off though it only grinds when car is running.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 04:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Your clutch is not disengaging enough for the synchro's to do their job properly. Hopefully your clutch line was bleed right and all you need to do is adjust the rod under the clutch pedal outwards(towards the firewall) to allow for more flexing of the pressure plate to disengage your input shaft better.

As for the fuse, you may have a short. Fuses blow to protect the rest of the circuit. I would say check the wiring harness using a multimeter for anywhere wire could have been warn through, especially during this last clutch install.

-pal215
Old Nov 4, 2015, 06:26 PM
kaj

check the speed sensor and reverse switch wires, since this all started after a clutch swap. you may have a break in there somewhere.

with the car off the ground, car in gear, and clutch in, do the wheels still turn? if so, you aren't fully disengaging.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:41 PM

Ok figured out the fuse problem dumb friend left his tool under the hood and must have fell down and kept shorting out the starter wire smh. As far as the clutch and engaging I think it's the notorious clip ring for the tob. After reading the pulsating I'm getting g when I tap the clutch just a little is the teeth on the pressure plate not being flush with the tob. It's dark but here's what it looks like through the peep hole.
Attached Thumbnails Evo ix hard to shift keeps blowing ignition fuse-screenshot_2015-11-05-02-35-23.png  
Old Nov 5, 2015, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
lol @ your friend, that's kinda funny haha
Old Nov 5, 2015, 07:30 AM
kaj

LOL i can't tell you how many times i've left tools on the cowl or camber plates areas.

sometimes tools disappear. probably somewhere in the street of my neighborhood...
Old Nov 5, 2015, 09:34 AM

It wasn't funny at first but then when I realized it could def be worse it was funny lol. As far as the clutch I am REALLLLLLY hoping it's my slave not doing it's job as it's been kinda notchy to shift and locks me out of shifting above like 7k so I'm thinking it's not engaging correctly so it's a adjustment or slave issue and not that dam ring on the pressure plate cause then the trans has to come out. Only thing that's weird is that with the car off and in gear on a decline if I press the clutch in it rolls I let go it stops so it's seems to be disengaging.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 09:54 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by slippi84
It wasn't funny at first but then when I realized it could def be worse it was funny lol. As far as the clutch I am REALLLLLLY hoping it's my slave not doing it's job as it's been kinda notchy to shift and locks me out of shifting above like 7k so I'm thinking it's not engaging correctly so it's a adjustment or slave issue and not that dam ring on the pressure plate cause then the trans has to come out. Only thing that's weird is that with the car off and in gear on a decline if I press the clutch in it rolls I let go it stops so it's seems to be disengaging.
locking out and being notchy fits with the not-fully-disengaging theory.

if the snap ring wasn't in, you shouldn't be able to use the clutch at all, i'd think. that's what happened with mine, anyway.

we're not saying the clutch isn't disengaging at all, just not fully. it's still releasing some, otherwise you couldn't get into gear at all. that's probably why it rolls down hill.

clutch in, on jack stands, is an easier way to tell.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
locking out and being notchy fits with the not-fully-disengaging theory.

if the snap ring wasn't in, you shouldn't be able to use the clutch at all, i'd think. that's what happened with mine, anyway.

we're not saying the clutch isn't disengaging at all, just not fully. it's still releasing some, otherwise you couldn't get into gear at all. that's probably why it rolls down hill.

clutch in, on jack stands, is an easier way to tell.
With the car off I can shift it into any gear including reverse. In neutral vehicle start normal and run forever. If I try and put it in gear it feels and sounds like it's fighting stalling and only way to get it to actually start is giving it gas (WHICH IS BAD) makes me think almost like when your taking off and trying to slip the clutch and give it gas type situation. When it's started in neutral won't shift into any gear even with the pedal all the way to the floor. Just for reference my clutch pedal rod is almost all the way to the end of the threads too and I have been having high rpm shift lock out problem and notchy shifting in general since install. I installed my clutch because that locking ring popped out and the tob wasn't locked to the pressure plate anymore so I too know that situation and it SUCKS.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:31 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by slippi84
With the car off I can shift it into any gear including reverse. In neutral vehicle start normal and run forever. If I try and put it in gear it feels and sounds like it's fighting stalling and only way to get it to actually start is giving it gas (WHICH IS BAD) makes me think almost like when your taking off and trying to slip the clutch and give it gas type situation. When it's started in neutral won't shift into any gear even with the pedal all the way to the floor. Just for reference my clutch pedal rod is almost all the way to the end of the threads too and I have been having high rpm shift lock out problem and notchy shifting in general since install. I installed my clutch because that locking ring popped out and the tob wasn't locked to the pressure plate anymore so I too know that situation and it SUCKS.
Yes, that's what cars do when the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I'd assume that's your problem.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 06:46 AM

Went to bleed the system this morning and the system this morning and it started spitting. The pedal got harder then after like 2 more times bleeding it goes all the way to the floor now. No pressure. I'm gonna start with the master and slave first.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:41 AM
kaj

So you bled the clutch line and air came out, which would explain it not disengaging) and it got better, but now the pedal is staying to the floor?
That makes no sense.

Quick Reply: Evo ix hard to shift keeps blowing ignition fuse