Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

NHSTA findings on clutch, 5th sync,wing,vac lines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Whos! Good to see you posting over here! There is life after Honda-tech. huhu

I think most of the transfer case blow outs have been blamed on abuse. So unless they start blowing out under normal use, I doubt we will see a recall/bulletin.

SC
Old Mar 26, 2004, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many times do I have to explain that the fith gear syncro TSB is only because the shop manual was not printed correct. And some of the tech were having problems cause of it. So mitsu came out with the TSB showing the correct way to install it. Thats it, there are no new parts in the TSB for fith gear syncro.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That clutch removal one is just instructions given to dealers by Mitsubishi on how to remove the clutch. Perhaps an addendum to the manual.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by BadazzCR
how many times do I have to explain that the fith gear syncro TSB is only because the shop manual was not printed correct. And some of the tech were having problems cause of it. So mitsu came out with the TSB showing the correct way to install it. Thats it, there are no new parts in the TSB for fith gear syncro.
Actually your incorrect.. My car was serviced with a 5th gear grind, and it was that TSB that was used to, the diagram on the Mitsubishi bulletin CLEARLY states that there are several revised components required when fixing the problem. I don't know how extensive the NHTSA bulletin is, but I saw the diagram, and the "Revised Parts" portion of it. True, its nothing major, more or less a sleeve and revised synchro, and disassembly/assembly instructions.

Of course, I think I was one of the first people to have had the problem, and people were calling BS that a TSB did not exist.

Since it is a TSB however it would still be covered under warranty and cannot be blamed on abuse. Thats the main difference between a TSB and a Recall.. a recall NEEDS to be fixed and will be fixed free of charge regardless of the age of the car, a TSB is a troubleshooting/repair bulletin that allows the servicing of a car that MAY meet certain criteria that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to troubleshoot.

you might find a "Prematurely worn Clutch" TSB at some point in the future, but it is still at the service manager (or MMUSA regional rep) discretion whether or not the repair is to be done at no charge. NORMALLY if your car is still under warranty, it would be covered anyway even if the car is modified. Random failures might be covered and abuse/modification related failures would otherwise not be.

I also am surprised by the comment earlier in the thread that more or less said our car is underdeveloped and a terrible car. I think the american market is different than Japanese market, americans are generally a bunch of litegating whiners, and will look to blame something else before they will take the owness of an issue. Why do I say that? Because the most vocal people who complain about issues with their cars ARE the minority, but they buy a car, abuse it, and cry when they have to cover its expenses out of pocket.

I can certainly understand the few occurrances of the clutch wearing at very few miles, or a transfer case or other hardware binding up and breaking. But the vast majority of people who have these problems, have either modified or abused their cars and are trying to get something for nothing. If this is not true then WHY do these same people who complain about the stock clutch failing at very few miles, a few weeks later turn up with thousands of dollars in modifications and brag about Dyno numbers? ITS OK TO BREAK YOUR OWN CAR, There's nothing wrong with being hard on it and breaking parts.. But don't expect to have someone else pay to fix your car. I realize its expensive to fix a broken tranny or transfer case, and if you have a good relationship with your dealer/service manager, OFTEN it will be replaced or repaired under warranty (or for a small fee), but I know MANY people with these cars, who have not had clutch problems.. I find it HARD to believe that its a widespread problem and feel that it probably has to do with driving style, again, not in everyones case, but a vast majority.. Especially after I hear all the "How do you launch the EVO correctly" questions that I get almost daily... Well, the simple answer is, if you want your clutch to live.. you don't launch it..

Ok.. so this is a little offtopic.. and I have no love for mitsubishi in general, and I think its good that these TSB's are showing up, and we're aware of issues.. But you could have called your service department and they would have told you the same thing if you asked them to look it up. (FWIW there's no tsb for a prematurely wearing clutch or hardware related at this time)

Last edited by MalibuJack; Mar 26, 2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please see this thread if you've had the 5th gear problem come back after the dealer fixed it:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=115380