Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Stage 1 - real torque?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 04:05 PM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exedy Stage 1 - real torque?

Hey all,

So I'm looking at the Exedy Stage 1 organic (05803HD) and am a little confused.. I've seen people on the forums and on some vendor sites (e.g. MAP) state that the torque capacity for this clutch is 402WTQ. However, on the Exedy website itself, they categorically state:

Clutch Torque 741lbs/ft
Torque Capacity at Wheels 472lbs/ft
Torque Capacity at Flywheel 590lbs/ft

Which is quite a bit more. I would go with the Exedy stage 1 if the Exedy website numbers are the correct ones for sure (I want maximum street drivability with road course track use, like Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, etc - I never launch, never drag and never auto-x launch). I'm right around the 400WTQ numbers.

Am I missing something? Are Exedy wrong about their own clutch? Where on earth did the 402WTQ number come from??

Thanks!

S.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
From what I've seen, clutch manufacturers will normally always rate their numbers way higher than the actual vendors who sell them, probably a CYA for the vendors. From what I've read about the clutch it should be perfect for what you're looking at doing.
I personally have had a Exedy Stage 2 which I put 40k miles on and now I'm on a Twin disk so I don't have any identical experience but I like Exedy clutches.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Several years ago I was inquiring about this clutch and was told by one of the vendors that what it amounted to then was a stock pressure plate but with a slightly less capable disc than stock. So, I went ahead and purchased an OEM clutch with Mitsubishi insignia for my low horsepower car. Well, that too was a different clutch than what my '03 Evo came with new - a much better clutch.

The moral of the story is that products are constantly changing. Sorry that this isn't of much help but getting a review from someone who bought the clutch several years ago, long enough to know if the clutch is any good or not, is probably a review of a clutch not currently being sold.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 02:31 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys!

S.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently breaking this clutch in atm, and while I'm at the same page as OP dont REALLY know the amount of torque capacity but really liking this clutch, pedal feels a bit stiffer than stock and little to zero chatter