Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 9 mr blow off valve install?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 9 mr blow off valve install?

Hello guys. I do not know whether this is a silly question or not. Must the plunger side of bov be toward air intake-turbo hose? I posted a picture showing how i installed it. Can wrong install of bov cause blown up engine? Are mr bovs adjustable or i must install it the way i took it out of a box?

Old Jan 4, 2016, 06:50 AM

In these pictures it is installed vice versa

Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:53 AM

The last picture is correct. The part closest to the nipple on top goes to the intake BEFORE the turbo. The bottom part opposite of the top/nipple side goes on the IC piping.

They are not adjustable unless you crush it. It will then hold a bit more boost
Old Jan 4, 2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by I_want_MR
The last picture is correct. The part closest to the nipple on top goes to the intake BEFORE the turbo. The bottom part opposite of the top/nipple side goes on the IC piping.

They are not adjustable unless you crush it. It will then hold a bit more boost
Then i installed it wrong? Because there are a lot of pictures on the internet showing that the plunger side must be toward intake turbo hose. Thats why i do not which one is correct. I drove in both ways but i could not be sure which one is the right one
Old Jan 4, 2016, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by araz5260
Then i installed it wrong? Because there are a lot of pictures on the internet showing that the plunger side must be toward intake turbo hose. Thats why i do not which one is correct. I drove in both ways but i could not be sure which one is the right one
That's correct. The spring loaded plunger side should be facing boost pressure and therefore be connected to your upper intercooler pipe. The hole that you see a metal stem in should be plumed into the intake manifold.

You won't blow your engine this way, but you will ruin your turbo over time due to turbo surge. I wouldn't worry about any damage done if you're running around stock boost levels. Just fix the diverter valves orientation and you're good to go.

-pal215
Old Jan 4, 2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
That's correct. The spring loaded plunger side should be facing boost pressure and therefore be connected to your upper intercooler pipe. The hole that you see a metal stem in should be plumed into the intake manifold.

You won't blow your engine this way, but you will ruin your turbo over time due to turbo surge. I wouldn't worry about any damage done if you're running around stock boost levels. Just fix the diverter valves orientation and you're good to go.

-pal215
Sorry i did not get it. Now my bov is located as in the first picture. The plunger side is toward the hose which is going from air filter to the turbo. Should i switch it to the upper pipe going to the intake manifold?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 02:53 PM

-pal215
Upper intercooler pipe is also going to the intake manifold thats why i did not understand
Old Jan 4, 2016, 04:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by araz5260
Upper intercooler pipe is also going to the intake manifold thats why i did not understand
That's ok, remember that the intake manifold and upper intercooler pipe are separated from the intake filter by the turbo charger and intercooler assembly. They will always experience vacuum or positive pressure.

The intake pipe itself that runs to the opening of the turbo and is exposed to the atmosphere through the filter element will only experience vacuum.

The way you have it installed now is not correct. You will want to make it like the 3rd picture down, not like how you have it in your first picture. Evo Motorsports picture is correct.

-pal215
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:31 PM

That's ok, remember that the intake manifold and upper intercooler pipe are separated from the intake filter by the turbo charger and intercooler assembly. They will always experience vacuum or positive pressure.

The intake pipe itself that runs to the opening of the turbo and is exposed to the atmosphere through the filter element will only experience vacuum.

The way you have it installed now is not correct. You will want to make it like the 3rd picture down, not like how you have it in your first picture. Evo Motorsports picture is correct.

-pal215
Now it is clear. Thank you very much for your help.