Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Battery/intercooler plumbing/factory airbox fitment

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery/intercooler plumbing/factory airbox fitment

I have 2nd hand Evo 8 GSR I just bought - has nice looking ETS piping, a stock size battery and some kind of cone filter.

Cone filter has no CARB sticker and I really want a legal setup. I can buy another intake but after doing some work under the hood I'd like to go back to stock airbox.

But it may not fit with that UICP. Any suggestions? I see stuff about a short route UICP but the small battery becomes a must?

Would moving the battery to the trunk provide the room or is it really all about the UICP? I don't think I'm in any imminent danger from getting pulled over and haven't been hassled but looking for input.

Also have stock boost solenoid and what appears to be factory turbo with Evo 9 BOV. Just got done fixing the lower turbo coolant hose and boost issue by installing factory new turbo vacuum lines (previous lines had no "pill" - probably had an aftermarket boost controller.

I'm more about reliability and serviceability and balance of quiet and handling over raw power. It's my daily driver so anything for robustness and ease of service is my goal.

Thanks
Casey
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Since so many people run cone filters there ought to be hundreds of air boxes sitting around in garages. I'd suggest going to the classifieds and putting up a want to buy ad. It shouldn't be much money to buy one. With the parts in hand you will know.