Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can this super lightweight battery work in the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There is alot of ways of doing things.

Here are some facts. The battery we use in our kits have a one year warranty. We haven't had any come back and over the winter we sold over 100 of the kits. No one has called to say their car didn't start in the cold weather. The kit we sell isn't just a battery. We have an aluminum CNC cut lower plate that bolts in, a SS CNC cut top strap and the new bolts for the tie downs that we cut and build here so they fit nicely. The kit is $225 and takes 20 pounds off the front of the car. Stock battery and parts to hold it weigh in at 37 pounds. Our kit is 17 pounds total.

IF I could buy the batteries we are using for $125 then I could drop the cost of the kits. My cost on the battery is $169 to my door, I buy them 15 at a time.

Before I get a bunch of suggestions about using other batteries and such, I don't want them. This battery works, the R&D on the plates and mounting is done and best of all after almost the first year of selling this kit we have ZERO returns. I stick with what works.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I can't help but like David...
Old Mar 30, 2004, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We need someone to do a lightweight battery test so we know which battery is best.

Since there is no independent tests, we do not know for sure at the moment. According to Braille's test, which could certainly be biased, the Braille battery pumps out 360 CCAs compared to the 280 of the Odyssey PC 680, Dyna-Batt, and Hawker Genesis G16EP.

Both the Braille and the Busch batteries offer a free one year replacement warranty. Both claim their batteries are trouble free. The Busch is slightly higher in price and David is online to answer questions. If my pocketbook were thicker I would be willing to pay for that extra customer service, but right now it is not.

I am still looking for some independent tests, but I think after one more night of searching through google, I will probably bite the bullet and go the least expensive route--$125 and total of 11.5-12 lbs for battery and parts v. $225 and 17 lbs for the battery and parts. At least, I will lose more weight too.

If I buy it, I can let you know if it requires replacing within a year and then you gusy can benefit and go the other way. Right now my pocket book speaks first and last. Maybe before I drop the cash, we can get someone to test these?

Who knows.

David would you be willing to submit one of your batteries to a test if I were able to secure a Braille for the test?

Last edited by SRT-4_Destroyer; Mar 30, 2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Not willing to do that, sorry. I have tested over 100 of these, actually our customers have, for the last year now. My testing is done and proven. Go the cheaper route if that is what is right for you. I find it extremely hard to believe this battery with the parts to mount it is going to come in at 12 pounds.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 31, 2004, 04:02 PM

I have the Hawker battery and it's identicle to the Odyssey PC680. I paid $65 for it plus $10 for the posts.

http://www.gotbatteries.com/Productp...206S1P&AddOn05

At that price it's disposible.

Plus it's not made to run a stereo system so don't buy it if you're into that type of stuff, god forbid.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 07:42 PM

Got the battery and indeed it weighs a whopping 11.5 lbs. Stock battery feels like an anchor in comparison. Sizewise this thing is friggin tiny. When the package arrived, I was like how the heck did they fit this battery in such a tiny box.

Well, I installed it and drove to get dinner with it. No problems as of yet!

TreyS, your are right that at the price the Hawker is disposable. But heck for a 1 year no hassle free replacement warranty and all the parts and mounting pieces that came with it, it was just easier for me to buy the Braille. Besides if any of the tests are true then it may offer more than the Hawker/Odyssey, although I am not sure that would be any real benefit in performance.

I will be sure to post a review if the battery konks out on me or I have problems.

PS: Nice Garage Trey.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 07:46 PM

one more thing, evojimbo got one and installed it with pics:

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...r=asc&start=15

Edit:

Edit: Review by STI owner

Last edited by SRT-4_Destroyer; Apr 10, 2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

So the battery came with everything needed to mount it in our evos?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:56 PM

Seems like everything you need for the install is included. All you have to do is get a tray (like at Home Depot) like evojimbo did:

Old Jun 15, 2004, 09:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
so is anyone using the Hawker Genesis?
Old Jun 16, 2004, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

-David, does the kit work w/ the stock airbox? it doesn't seem to fit
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
There is alot of ways of doing things.

Here are some facts. The battery we use in our kits have a one year warranty. We haven't had any come back and over the winter we sold over 100 of the kits. No one has called to say their car didn't start in the cold weather. The kit we sell isn't just a battery. We have an aluminum CNC cut lower plate that bolts in, a SS CNC cut top strap and the new bolts for the tie downs that we cut and build here so they fit nicely. The kit is $225 and takes 20 pounds off the front of the car. Stock battery and parts to hold it weigh in at 37 pounds. Our kit is 17 pounds total.

IF I could buy the batteries we are using for $125 then I could drop the cost of the kits. My cost on the battery is $169 to my door, I buy them 15 at a time.

Before I get a bunch of suggestions about using other batteries and such, I don't want them. This battery works, the R&D on the plates and mounting is done and best of all after almost the first year of selling this kit we have ZERO returns. I stick with what works.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jun 16, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Im selling battery trays for it (those are not the actual battery ties)

Last edited by EvoJimbo; Jun 16, 2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

C4 ! watch out there, are u sure u want to plug those terminals in? I have the odyssey also, the stock battery is like 3 times larger!
Old Jun 17, 2004, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, nice original idea! haha

I'll take our black battery, I hadn't seen a Braille before, thing is uglier than hell in the engine bay.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

-David, does your kit fit with stock airbox? thanks
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Wow, nice original idea! haha

I'll take our black battery, I hadn't seen a Braille before, thing is uglier than hell in the engine bay.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com