Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can this super lightweight battery work in the EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2004, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can this super lightweight battery work in the EVO?

I am probably going to jump on this deal offered by a vendor for a super lightweight battery, (11.5lbs total ) but I wanted to hear some opinions here first.

More weight to lose the better IMHO.

Edit:

Edit: Review by STI owner

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=8018

Last edited by SRT-4_Destroyer; Apr 10, 2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
I don't know anything about the kit you linked, however, one of our registered vendors (Buschur Racing) offers a mini-battery kit for the Evo (20 pounds less than stock). You can view it here:

http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin....cgi?18X376545

Speedlimit...
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-4_Destroyer,

very interesting battery indeed...
Old Mar 26, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Speedlimit
I don't know anything about the kit you linked, however, one of our registered vendors (Buschur Racing) offers a mini-battery kit for the Evo (20 pounds less than stock). You can view it here:

http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin....cgi?18X376545
Speedlimit...
$225? OUCH! I understand the need to support vendors, but this battery seems the same and is half the price.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 07:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hi,

I'm just pointing out another option that I knew would work in the Evo. Just make sure the batteries are indeed the same. i.e. cranking power etc. Have fun!

Speedlimit...
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:01 AM

I did a little research and the Braille seems superior. If there are any problems within the first year, there is a free replacement warranty. The expected life is 3-6 years, so at half the price it seems like a stellar deal....getttin in on this.

Thanks guys!
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Can you elaborate on your research? Are there other reasons why the Braille is superior to the Bushcur product?
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by dyuyeno
Can you elaborate on your research? Are there other reasons why the Braille is superior to the Bushcur product?
Well, I did some searching on google and the Bushcur product appears identical to the Hawker/Odyssey line of batteries. IF you look carefully at that unit and then look at the Hawker line, you will notice that the casings are identical. While it is possible that multiple different batteries are made from the casings, these are not. There is a significant amount of documentation that I did on google which tipped me off to this.

I also read this comparison sheet. While it is put out by Braille, I found it informative and at least attempting to test the batteries on a even playing field.

Finally, before concluding that this was right for me, I called a cousin who has worked closely with different racing clubs. He indicated that the Braille battery has been used now for a few months in many of the racing/drag/autoX applications. He expressed that many of the drivers have been happy with the battery and its ability to perform its job. Also, my cousin indicated that he expected that these guys would continue to buy from Braille because of the one year free replacement warranty, which is not always offered by the other battery manufacturers.

This he indicated is important because they were discovering that the racing batteries occassionally failed, leaving them without recourse and requiring them to purchase a new battery. He explained that if a battery is bad, it will generally show it within the first year, and with the Braille that would not be a problem.

Also the Hawker line is more around the cost of the Braille once you factor in shipping and all the items you need to make it work, like posts, padding, etc---which I think the braille comes with.

Anybody know of any other great weight saving mods like this?
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

A lot of the of the guys in the STi community are opting for the Braille battery. Great product from what I've heard. I'd say go for it.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Me too are in search for a smaller battery to free up space in my engine so I think this battery will fit my cars need. If the guy still sell this, I might buy it too. Good job on your research, bro.
Noel
Old Mar 27, 2004, 01:20 AM

I did some searching and it appears,this seller is experienced with a second group buy for the battery and some jdm light deal; wonder if he/she can get other JDM parts, hmmm:

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=7583

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=6291
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SRT-4_Destroyer

Well, I did some searching on google and the Bushcur product appears identical to the Hawker/Odyssey line of batteries. IF you look carefully at that unit and then look at the Hawker line, you will notice that the casings are identical. While it is possible that multiple different batteries are made from the casings, these are not. There is a significant amount of documentation that I did on google which tipped me off to this.

I also read this comparison sheet. While it is put out by Braille, I found it informative and at least attempting to test the batteries on a even playing field.

Finally, before concluding that this was right for me, I called a cousin who has worked closely with different racing clubs. He indicated that the Braille battery has been used now for a few months in many of the racing/drag/autoX applications. He expressed that many of the drivers have been happy with the battery and its ability to perform its job. Also, my cousin indicated that he expected that these guys would continue to buy from Braille because of the one year free replacement warranty, which is not always offered by the other battery manufacturers.

This he indicated is important because they were discovering that the racing batteries occassionally failed, leaving them without recourse and requiring them to purchase a new battery. He explained that if a battery is bad, it will generally show it within the first year, and with the Braille that would not be a problem.

Also the Hawker line is more around the cost of the Braille once you factor in shipping and all the items you need to make it work, like posts, padding, etc---which I think the braille comes with.

Anybody know of any other great weight saving mods like this?
great info. thanks dude
Old Mar 27, 2004, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

The guy is still doing a group buy, $125 shipped. Great deal ...I will be ordering it.

http://www.imprezawrxsti.com/postnuk...ewtopic&t=8018
Old Mar 27, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a great deal and it seems this is as good as or even better than Bushur's Battery. Good find SRT-4 Destroyer.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

This is what I did w/ Odyssey PC680
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=odyssey

Quick Reply: Can this super lightweight battery work in the EVO?