Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tore my motor down completely, off to the machine shop :)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Tore my motor down completely, off to the machine shop :)

This is by all means a street only car, I MIGHT take it to the track once its all done but, for the most part, it is a weekend car as I have a daily driver.

At first, I took the head off to upgrade the springs to supertech dual valvesprings and gsc s2's and just swap the valves to supertech standard nitrided valves, but then it hit me, I had to take off the transmission for a beefier clutch and since I have already done clutch jobs on evos, taking the motor out with the trans seemed much more simple than pulling the trans by itself and fighting it back in there on my garage floor, lol. So the engine came out

Sitting on a stand before stripping the motor, I wanted to go with a 2.3 liter at first, I was very close to ordering the MAP stage 2 stroker kit with their billet manely 100mm crank offering, But this was going to cost me over $2800, and the machine work would cost another $400-500 (with the head) and on top of that, a new front case w/ oil pump, in other words, over 4 grand in just the engine build that would probably never be pushed to its limits due to the uses of my car, So a change of plans, I decided to stick to the stock displacement, keep my oem crank that shows no signs of wear eventhough its seen over 100k miles, and just get some 0.20 over Wiesco 1400hd's and a set of manely TT I beams and call it a day, this would cut my cost in half, and I can still have lots of fun with this on a 71hta or a similarly sized turbo.

On top of that, I have a feeling I will be sending out both my trans and transfercase out to shep for their stage 1 build, not because they need it, they actually are in great condition, I just love the way they soda bake the components and make them look shiny .

any opinions on the piston rod combo? should I keep balance shafts?

side note: I did not have the crank pulley bolt broken loose, and I found out just how INSANELY tight it is, so I did what nobody should ever do on a crank they want to reuse, I took off the oil pan, put a piece of wood between the block and the counterweight of the crank, and used that as leverage to break loose the bolt
Attached Thumbnails Tore my motor down completely, off to the machine shop :)-img_5636.jpg   Tore my motor down completely, off to the machine shop :)-img_5604.jpg   Tore my motor down completely, off to the machine shop :)-img_5648.jpg  
Old Mar 6, 2016, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Looking at the idler under the power steering pump bracket I wonder how often that gets changed at timing belt time? I have my wife put that bracket back on when doing the belt - smaller hands.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes Barney I believe the timing belt kit comes with that idler pulley. with that little nifty pulley holder tool, should be a breeze to set the tension with it out of the car.