Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil catch can set up!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil catch can set up!

So guys ,
I wanna get some insight as to what catch can will be ideal for my set up.
I have a 2003 Evo8 currently making 432whp and 377 TQ. I am currently still on the MAF and have a stock 9 BOV so i don't have VTA bov or anything like that.
There is a basic magan racing catch on on the car right now with one port to the valve cover and the other to the turbo intake pipe. The car just got tuned and after since i believe i might be getting some crank case pressure. My oil pan and oil cooler line is leaking way more than before the car was tuned so that's my suspicion. I will be changing the oil cooler line and remove oil pan and reseal.
However question is i was thinking of upgrading the catch can to the one STM have with the filter on top? This set is more like a vented system, would this have any effect on my A/F reading ? seeing my system is pretty much recirculated?
One of the guys at the shop told me get the STM catch can with the single filter on top and vent to the valve cover and to the pcv valve. Would this be a good set up for me? lmk what you guys think appreciate the inputs thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i have their sealed catch can!! which in my opinion is the better one because it sucks out all the crankcase pressure. Btw where in queens u at?? i live in queens too
Old Mar 6, 2016, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by infam0usndn2nv
i have their sealed catch can!! which in my opinion is the better one because it sucks out all the crankcase pressure. Btw where in queens u at?? i live in queens too
Queens Village .
Old Mar 6, 2016, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

looking at the radium catch can, anyone using that ?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Use the search bar. Few people using radium can...i have heard alot of good things about it
Old Mar 7, 2016, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boost556
So guys ,
I wanna get some insight as to what catch can will be ideal for my set up.
I have a 2003 Evo8 currently making 432whp and 377 TQ. I am currently still on the MAF and have a stock 9 BOV so i don't have VTA bov or anything like that.
There is a basic magan racing catch on on the car right now with one port to the valve cover and the other to the turbo intake pipe. The car just got tuned and after since i believe i might be getting some crank case pressure. My oil pan and oil cooler line is leaking way more than before the car was tuned so that's my suspicion. I will be changing the oil cooler line and remove oil pan and reseal.
However question is i was thinking of upgrading the catch can to the one STM have with the filter on top? This set is more like a vented system, would this have any effect on my A/F reading ? seeing my system is pretty much recirculated?
One of the guys at the shop told me get the STM catch can with the single filter on top and vent to the valve cover and to the pcv valve. Would this be a good set up for me? lmk what you guys think appreciate the inputs thanks.
I have the stm for sale in the classifieds. LMK if you are interested.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your pcv valve isn't sealing, it will allow boost to leak back into the vc and pressurize the block, causing your issue as well. This will happen with or without a catch can. Is your dip stick coming out as well?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
If your pcv valve isn't sealing, it will allow boost to leak back into the vc and pressurize the block, causing your issue as well. This will happen with or without a catch can. Is your dip stick coming out as well?
No dip stick is not popping but i have a dip stick retention spring on.
There was a few places it was leaking:
(1) from the oil pan
(2) from the turbo oil return line
(3) oil cooler lines.
Think we may have fix the leaks but no doubt the problem may come back if i dont vent the valve cover properly. I will look into the pcv valve but i believe i still need a good catch can to deal with the crank case pressure.