Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Driving to tuner w/ out tune. FP Red....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Driving to tuner w/ out tune. FP Red....

Have a 06 IX with 49k miles. Fully bolted on / 272 cams / 385 / 30psi stock turbo currently.

I am going to be installing an FP red setup and was hoping it'll be okay to drive ~2 hours without a tune as long as I do my best to not hit boost
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Apr 4, 2016)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Youll be fine. Done it a few times. Stay out of boost & run in vacuum & all should be OK
The following users liked this post:
Bmurray (Apr 4, 2016)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome! Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you're on MAF, it'll be OK. If you're on speed density, it probably won't run well enough to drive.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah MAF you are fine. If SD I wouldn't do it. Your tuner can't send you a base map?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still on MAF. And I'm not sure. Wouldn't I need a tactrix cable if he were to try and do that?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
You're fine on maf or SD given the only thing you changed is turbo.....provided you completely stay out of boost! In the vacuum, idle and cruise range it's mostly closed loop and the timing map largely doesn't change much. Whole different story in boost where even for the same psi different turbos need different timing and fuel.

As a general note, maf does awesome at compensating for literally anything short of new injectors in idle/cruise. SD is more finicky and if you do something like change cams it definitely needs a retune.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
yes, like allthese knowledgable gentlemen said, you will be A-OKAY have fun with the new turbo
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the same with mine no booooost and your good. PS have the same setup and love it. What injectors r u going to be running?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Stay out of boost. Also have had to do this many a time
Old Apr 5, 2016, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
You're fine on maf or SD given the only thing you changed is turbo.....provided you completely stay out of boost! In the vacuum, idle and cruise range it's mostly closed loop and the timing map largely doesn't change much. Whole different story in boost where even for the same psi different turbos need different timing and fuel.

As a general note, maf does awesome at compensating for literally anything short of new injectors in idle/cruise. SD is more finicky and if you do something like change cams it definitely needs a retune.
Originally Posted by roni4g63
yes, like allthese knowledgable gentlemen said, you will be A-OKAY have fun with the new turbo
Originally Posted by e_kobz
Stay out of boost. Also have had to do this many a time
Thanks fellas

Originally Posted by desmvp
I did the same with mine no booooost and your good. PS have the same setup and love it. What injectors r u going to be running?
Thanks. I have 1200cc Precision injectors. Along with the AEM 320lph pump. Should be enough fuel right?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
You may run into fuel limits. The AEM 320 has been shown to not really flow much more than a Walbro 255. Injectors will be at the limit as well, I'm guessing around 90% IDC by the time you're done.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
You may run into fuel limits. The AEM 320 has been shown to not really flow much more than a Walbro 255. Injectors will be at the limit as well, I'm guessing around 90% IDC by the time you're done.
Well we will see how it goes! Worst case we'll keep the boost down until I get larger injectors and a double pumper or something.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by deeman101

Changing a turbo is a huge change in airflow, just like cams. SD will not run well, if its even drivable, without changes to the ROM. I know this because I've done it, my car barely ran when I went form the stock turbo to the red. Required changes to injector scaling and RPM VE, as well as portions of the fuel table to even be able drive it somewhat reasonably.

On MAF he'll be fine.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
^ I can't say I've had that problem. I've put cars on SD tunes with similar cams/injectors/intake/TB/displacement but different turbos and they would start up and drive in closed loop without too much issue. Turbos effect on VE really comes into play when they start adding serious airflow to the engine. Only matters around 0psi and above. Which admittedly most people run into if they are not careful. If you watch your boost/vacuum gauge you can drive around on it. Disconnect your uicp and try next time.

Quick Reply: Driving to tuner w/ out tune. FP Red....