Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

loss of power at boost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loss of power at boost

Yesterday I had an issue with my car. When I started it, it idled rough and there was a noticeable tapping from the motor. The tapping went away soon after, but when I was driving, anytime I made boost, the car would lose power. My Afr was all over the place. Reset ecu (disconnected battery) and checked spark plugs. Plugs were fine. Let it idle and it idled OK, but a little lean. Then the car turned itself off. Problem seems to be intermittent, but when it occurs, it is on boost. I am thinking MAF sensor based on what I have gathered from forum. I want to clean it using that crc stuff. Any suggestions or other ideas?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update...and now I have no further ideas

So here is what I have done:

Changed the MAF with 2 other known good ones...no effect.
Changed MAP sensor
Changed plugs, properly gapped
Changed coils
Changed 02 Sensor
Performed boost leak test, no leaks
Changed exhaust camshaft position indicator

Plugged it in to a scanner, and I have a P2229 (Barometric Pressure High Voltage) code...I don't know what to do with this. Also, I have reset the ECU after each change, let it idle and test drive, still have the issue.

Symptoms are more predictable now, and repeatable. If i crack open the throttle at a low speed for the gear (3rd at 25, 4th at 35, or 5th at any reasonable highway speed) and it sputters, loses power, and will eventually backfire. If i let off the throttle, it will fix itself. I can make boost, and WOT seems normal, if maybe a little hesitant to build boost.

I feel like I am out of options. Maybe I just got a tankful of bad gas. I filled up thursday with a quarter tank left, and the problem started Sunday when I got to 3/4 tank left. Maybe some fuel system cleaner with a tank of good gas will fix it, but otherwise, I need help from experts on this forum.