Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Replaced valve cover gasket yesterday, found a surprise

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replaced valve cover gasket yesterday, found a surprise

Yesterday, I decided to pull the valve cover and replace the gasket on it on a whim. I popped the cover off discover my exhaust cam had an HKS stamp on it. I purchased my vehicle used, and unfortunately did not know the original owner of the vehicle.

I'm happy to see an aftermarket cam in there, but the weird thing to me is, I believe the intake cam is stock. I did some research and I think the Exhaust cam is a: 'HKS - Mitsubishi EX 4G63/CT9A Duration 272 Valve Lift 10.2 (Step 2)'

However, the only markings I could find on the intake cam were a stamp that said: '5C11'.

I couldn't find any information on this '5C11' intake cam, so I'm assuming it's stock? Does anyone know anything about this HKS exhaust cam? I'm confused as to why the previous owner would install just an exhaust cam and leave the intake cam alone. I mean, it's a pleasant surprise, but now I'm unsure if the valve springs are stock or not. I was wanting to get some of the GSC S2 cams with beehive springs eventually, but now I'm wondering if I'm even going to see much of a gain by going that route?
Old May 29, 2016, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock cams are hollow. If they have holes and the inside of the cam looks hollow, it's most likely stock.

As for the exhaust, HKS makes many different cams for the Evo. I'll just name the exhaust sides.
-HKS 264
-HKS 272
-HKS 278
-HKS 280
As to why, maybe he wanted a faster spoolup.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, I wish I would have looked at the intake a bit more. I took some pics, and I thin it was hollow. I just would have assumed he would have replaced the intake cam and the exhaust cam at the same time.

I found some numbers scratched into the exhaust cam, so I'm pretty certain what's listed above is what's in it.