Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post Turbo Failure Clean Up Help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo Failure Clean Up Help

Hey everyone my OEM VIII turbo had the compressor blades break and I am replacing it but I don't know how to clean up the IC of debris. Any help? And what're the odds anything made it past to the intake? Car was being softly driven when failure occurred and did not even drive a mile like so
Old Jun 1, 2016, 08:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
You can back take the intercooler to a radiator shop and have it cleaned. If you're running the stocker, its a good excuse to upgrade it...lol. I would pull the oil pan and clean it out. When my 9 turbo blew up it sent a lot of bearing shrapnel into the pan.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I remember reading on one of the turbo vendor sites that the intercooler is a metal sponge and no metal gets through it. I don't know if that is true but it sounds right to me.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Odds are nothing made it through the intercooler. It's a fairly dense core and can act as a filter for metal bits and pieces that could have come from the blown turbo. Clean it up at a radiator shop or use some carb cleaner and shake it up to drain it through the inlet side. Some use gasoline, I wouldn't haha.

-pal215
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Radiator shop or find a machine shop that has an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to fit the core. Ultrasonic is much more effective. After my turbo exploded and replacing with new turbo I drove the car 10 miles on 4qt of cheap oil and 1qt of marvel mystery oil; high detergent help clean the engine of any debris. Then cut open the filter open to see how much debris I collected to monitor after next filter change.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
Radiator shop or find a machine shop that has an ultrasonic cleaner large enough to fit the core. Ultrasonic is much more effective. After my turbo exploded and replacing with new turbo I drove the car 10 miles on 4qt of cheap oil and 1qt of marvel mystery oil; high detergent help clean the engine of any debris. Then cut open the filter open to see how much debris I collected to monitor after next filter change.
When you do that, all the crud in the pan goes through your oil pump. No bueno...