Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2nd gear lockout

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gear lockout

First off, sorry for the long story. I have a fully bolted, e85 evo 8. Comp clutch 2.5, act light weight flywheel, new tob, and mono lock. Recently had my trans ran through and replaced 3rd and 5th syncros. Probably 6k max on the setup, but they were a stressful 6k miles. I only track the car, barely daily drive.

Was at the track, ran three passes with no issues. 4th pass I had 2nd gear lock out. At idle I can't get it in and over 3k wasn't able to either. Was able to get it to slide in here and there but nothing consistent to get it in. Tried raising the clutch pedal and it goes in easier, but still locks out time to time. Haven't been able to test drive it with the new clutch positron. Will be doing this soon.

Question being is it clutch, syncros, or both? Also, best solution to the problem
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I would start by checking your clutch drag and adjusting the pedal. If that does not help. I would say your transmission needs to be fixed.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the car our this weekend and only had one time when the shift into second got locked out. Our thoughts are two fold. One, when the clutch was installed no one adjusted the clutch pedal rod. Two, something in the shift linkage, cables, or base has stretched or shifted from OEM potentially causing me to catch a "dead spot" or in between gears while shifting.

Is anyone know if there is an all metal replacement for the shifter housing? If not I might look into fabricators this winter and get new shifter cables. Just to rule out that possibility. Either way it looks like I'm good to hit the track again.