Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need help! Loud clunking noise coming from front.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help! Loud clunking noise coming from front.

I got my IX MR about a year ago, and it has just over 40k miles on it. It's slightly modded with bolt on's, and all work was done by STM six months ago. When I bought it was stock. I have launched the car on the street maybe 20-30 times myself, but have no idea about the previous owner. My first time at the drag strip with this car I broke something on my fourth launch. I didn't realize I broke it until I got to the end of the track and had to turn off and it clunked really loudly, and it felt like the car was jerking. I suspected the CV axle on the passenger side since it was worse when I turned left. I replaced it today and a little bit of fluid came out of the t-case when I pulled out the passenger axle out. The outer CV joint was stiff, so I put the new one in, and changed my t-case fluid while I was down there. The car did the exact same thing! Except worse on the driver side this time. I pulled the driver axle out, and this molten silver looking liquid, with no odor to speak of, spilled out of the driver side where the axle connects. The CV axle was fine. I'm at a loss!! No issues going straight that I can tell. Just can't pull out out of my driveway. I also just replaced the coilovers with D2 a couple days before this happened. Not sure if it's relevant, just trying to be thorough.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I talked to Emory over at STM and he said that it is my front diff. So now my question is, can I just pull the diff out or do I have to pull the whole entire transfer case and send it to shepherd? Funds are really tight right now and it would be great if I could just put a new diff in.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this. I know for the 03-04 evo's you can remove the transfer case cover after popping both axles, dropping the exhaust and removing the half shaft out of the t-case.
Here is a video of that:

Transfer cases and diff's are very expensive to replace, but if you need one to get you around for now I am selling a used evo 9 transfer case that works perfectly for the cheapest price on evom.net.

Good luck with everything !

-pal215