Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much faster is a dog box

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much faster is a dog box

Hi guys im looking at putting a ppg dog set with ikeya shifter in my 800hp evo 4. What sort of time have you guys seen your quarter drop when upgrading to a dog box?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts
can you get a proper sequential instead?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 03:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
can you get a proper sequential instead?
An actual sequential is over double the cost of what he is considering.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
But so much more awesome
Old Jul 16, 2016, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
What is the difference between the two (sequential and dog box) the profile of the gear or something?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
What is the difference between the two (sequential and dog box) the profile of the gear or something?
Dog box is still a H pattern for the gear shifter in most cases and you initiate the gear changes. The gears are straight cut and you don't have to use the clutch except for getting going in 1st gear. A sequential gear box has all the gears on a sequential order. There is no more H pattern. When the car is in neutral, pull the gear lever back for 1st, again for 2nd and so on. For down shifts just push the lever forward and the start dropping gears.
The following users liked this post:
NJ9MR (Jul 19, 2016)
Old Jul 16, 2016, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Using a dog box and a ikeya shifter is similar to having a sequential. The ikeya shifter makes the gear selection sequential, no more h pattern
NJ9MR (Jul 19, 2016)
Old Jul 16, 2016, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Good to know, thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
but ikeya is not free...

point being.. Ikeya just imitates the sequential shifing pattern and translates that into the conventional movement of the shifting cables. It helps with not choosing a wrong gear in a pinch but will not speed him up.

I have driven a dogbox and you can shift it very fast but a proper sequential dogbox, with a internal barrel mechanism is faster still esp if you combine it with a aftermarket ecu with automatic ignition cut....

If the budget is concern, dog gear set in the original casing is an improvement but it requires more frequent maintenance.

I would skip the ikeya.

Ultimate solution is proper sequential with different casing (hence the price) and ecu with ignition cut during shift.
NJ9MR (Jul 19, 2016)
Old Jul 18, 2016, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
but ikeya is not free...

point being.. Ikeya just imitates the sequential shifing pattern and translates that into the conventional movement of the shifting cables. It helps with not choosing a wrong gear in a pinch but will not speed him up.

I have driven a dogbox and you can shift it very fast but a proper sequential dogbox, with a internal barrel mechanism is faster still esp if you combine it with a aftermarket ecu with automatic ignition cut....

If the budget is concern, dog gear set in the original casing is an improvement but it requires more frequent maintenance.

I would skip the ikeya.

Ultimate solution is proper sequential with different casing (hence the price) and ecu with ignition cut during shift.
You can get an albins dog box "kit" form Jack's for $9k, the Ikeya is $1,500. I'm pretty sure something like a Drenth true sequential box is over $20k. Is it better? Yes. Is it worth double the money? That's for an individual to decide. If it's something your competition is running, you may need it to keep up.

The ultimate solution would also be to have throttle by wire so the ecu can rev match on down shifts for you, as well as having ignition cut so you can just yank the lever and the car will take the next gear.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

exactly, but as I was saying, I would skip the ikeya.. i.e. - normal gearbox - dgobox H pattern - full sequential.

quaife sequential is 8500 GBP which at current GBP levels is not that much more...

for those who want to see how a normal dogbox shifts, just google any incar grN mitsubishi rally car video.. it is fast enough..
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

quaife, for example

samsonas

ikeya + dogbox

just H pattern dogbox
Old Jul 19, 2016, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Great examples! Thank You!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies but no one has actually answered my question. The full sequential boxes from what i can gather are quite a bit more expensive and for a dedicated drag car that doesnt see much road driving i think a dog set and ikeya shifter is a better option if like me tou dont have an unlimited budget. Does the ikeya shifter not have micro switches to input to the ecu for ignition cut?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedup
Thanks for the replies but no one has actually answered my question. The full sequential boxes from what i can gather are quite a bit more expensive and for a dedicated drag car that doesnt see much road driving i think a dog set and ikeya shifter is a better option if like me tou dont have an unlimited budget. Does the ikeya shifter not have micro switches to input to the ecu for ignition cut?
it doesnt but you can always install a gear lever with a load cell

my point was that the ikeya will not be any faster than a normal H pattern dogbox, and that a full sequential is faster than any combo..

as far as price goes... that always depends on what and where you buy... there are used straight cut sets around always.. and those a re H pattern.. I think that if you want to save moeny just get a straight cut dog gear set and forget about ikeya..
Insidious Evo (Jul 26, 2016)

Quick Reply: How much faster is a dog box