Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Custom Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Intake Manifold

Hi Guys,

Do you think this intake will be better than stock with stock throttle body??
Setup is a 2.3 stroker with mivec
R2 cams
Hta3586R turbo

Really appreciate your comments.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Intake Manifold-image.jpeg  
Old Jul 23, 2016, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ported stock IM is more than enough for most setups. I don't know about this IM you have posted but most large IMs sacrifice low/mid power for more top end power. It all depends on what you want really.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Faisalm
Ported stock IM is more than enough for most setups. I don't know about this IM you have posted but most large IMs sacrifice low/mid power for more top end power. It all depends on what you want really.
Thank you for your reply but R2 cams are much more efficient with ported and polished head and aftermarket IM, that's why I got this one. I also think lag won't me more than 200 RPM with 25-30 whp gain in mid to top range.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I think that looks like a Hypertune.

And honestly, you can't really say how a manifold is going to perform until you bolt it on. If you're looking to get a manifold that is going to perform without questions, the Magnus has been dynoed on a bunch of different set ups. Can't go wrong with that one. You could even send it to CBRE and have him port it.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 09:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,557 Likes on 1,335 Posts
That also looks like a DSM manifold. TB is on the wrong side..
Old Jul 24, 2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
That also looks like a DSM manifold. TB is on the wrong side..
It is just upside down
The side you see is the bottom side
Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I think that looks like a Hypertune.

And honestly, you can't really say how a manifold is going to perform until you bolt it on. If you're looking to get a manifold that is going to perform without questions, the Magnus has been dynoed on a bunch of different set ups. Can't go wrong with that one. You could even send it to CBRE and have him port it.
Actually this is a copy of Hypertune
I am porting and polishing it further before installation
Let's see how it performs
I will keep u posted guys
Thanks for your comments
Old Jul 24, 2016, 09:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Well, why'd you ask for comments if you already bought it?

Be aware when you buy not name brand or knock-off intake Manifold's, things can happen like cracked welds, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:20 AM

Well, why'd you ask for comments if you already bought it?

Be aware when you buy not name brand or knock-off intake Manifold's, things can happen like cracked welds, etc.
Hi Erik, I suppose you are right for the brand thing. My question was if it will perform better and not whether I should buy it or not. I know that the stock IM has many restrictions so I figured out this would be better especially with the R2 cams and stroker. This was on a friends race car which he bought so I guess it was holding the boost, anyways thanks for your comment.
Bachir
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by karakeb
Hi Erik, I suppose you are right for the brand thing. My question was if it will perform better and not whether I should buy it or not. I know that the stock IM has many restrictions so I figured out this would be better especially with the R2 cams and stroker. This was on a friends race car which he bought so I guess it was holding the boost, anyways thanks for your comment.
Bachir
It's going to require different upper IC pipes, but if you have the time/funds to test, you should try both that manifold and a ported stocker from CBRE (Curt Brown). THe OEM intake manifold will help the car spool up a little faster, and you may like it on the street a little better.

Just something to think about.

And the Magnus is a great intake manifold and it's cast, so no cracked welds. I don't know about you, but I hate taking parts on and off my car

Good luck.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that plenum looks very large..but since you are 2.3L I don't think it will affect you much in terms of lag. yes, low end will not be as good as the stock or ported stocker..but with a 3586 and R2 cams..your power band is upwards of 5K anyhow. mid/top end power should be good. but you wont know how good (or bad) till you actually bolt it on. good luck...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 03:23 AM

It's going to require different upper IC pipes, but if you have the time/funds to test, you should try both that manifold and a ported stocker from CBRE (Curt Brown). THe OEM intake manifold will help the car spool up a little faster, and you may like it on the street a little better.

Just something to think about.

And the Magnus is a great intake manifold and it's cast, so no cracked welds. I don't know about you, but I hate taking parts on and off my car

Good luck.

Thanks Erik for the advice. I wish I had the time to test and anyways it's hard to get your hands on a ported stocker from CBRE so I will just take my luck and install this one. I will keep you posted with the number once it is installed and tuned, cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by wickedep
that plenum looks very large..but since you are 2.3L I don't think it will affect you much in terms of lag. yes, low end will not be as good as the stock or ported stocker..but with a 3586 and R2 cams..your power band is upwards of 5K anyhow. mid/top end power should be good. but you wont know how good (or bad) till you actually bolt it on. good luck...

Thanks for the details wickedep, I will certainly keep you posted on this, thank you.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 06:14 AM

Hi Guys,

This is the dyno Graph I promised you
That's the current limit of the car because of the HKS Silent exhaust
The boost drop from 7600 to 8200 RPM is most like from the wastegate spring since it is a 1 bar spring rate and should be upgraded ( will do that soon)

Please feel free to post your comments or questions, thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Intake Manifold-20160816_172019.jpg  
Old Dec 25, 2019, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice project. Where did you get that part at the front right of your car that isolates the air intake?

Quick Reply: Custom Intake Manifold