Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gauge help --- please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge help --- please

OK,

My car is currently up at Buschur Racing and it is getting a complete Stage 4 install that is the good news...

The bad news is that they are also installing my Blitz BLM gauges. A boost gauge on the steering column and an oil pressure, fuel pressure, and EGT gauge on the A pillar. They were able to install and hook up my boost gauge and the EGT gauges with no problem.

However they tell me that they can not hook up the oil pressure or the fuel pressure gauges because there is no place to hook up the sensors. They said that they wired them so that they light up but that they will not actually read data as there was no place to put the sensors.

So, my question is: Has anyone installed an oil pressure and or a fuel pressure gauge in their EVO? If so where and how did you hook up the sensors?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

thanks,
-Doug
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great question. I've been wondering this myself.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

These gauges were far to expensive to just sit there doing nothing. I can't be the first person to try this installuation...someone has to have already delt with this issue.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

do a search for oil temp install... there is a hex bolt near the oil filter u can remove and use.

BUDLoNG
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Just like the post above said, just remove one of the hex bolts from the Oil filter housing and that's it. I would recommend you don't put the Oil Pressure sending unit directly on the oil filter housing from a fitting as the sending unit could weigh upwards of 5lbs depending on the sensor and that could add stress to the fitting and oil filter housing. Also, it is a bulky item that could possibly catch road debris, but so is the oil filter but it is not threaded in with a 1/8" NPT fitting either.

I installed my oil pressure sending unit up top by the power steering resivoir. Bought a steel braided line and fittings (36 inches in length w/fittings) and ran the line to the oil filter housing up to where the sensor is.

With the fuel pressure gauge i now have the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator which has an extra spot to mount a sending unit or gauge. I think pruven performance sells an item to use the stock fuel pressure regulator and have an under the hood fuel pressure gauge or one in the car. I think vivid carries it as well. It is like a T fitting of some sort for a gauge or sending unit.

Last edited by kcevo; Mar 30, 2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

I am on the verge of installing those gauges as well, so I can tell you've what I've found from research (although I haven't attempted to actually install yet).

For the oil pressure you have two options:

1. Purchase the Greddy adapter that sits between the oil filter and engine. It has two tap points for mounting a pressure and temp gauge. This is the easiest way, although there is some concern the added adapter makes the oil filter sit too low. Plus you have to purchase the adapter, I think its like $70 bucks.

2. There is a 3/8 hex bolt right above the oil filter. Its simply a plug. Using a hex bit it can be removed, and then the pressure sender can be installed in its place. You will need a 3/8 to 1/8 adapter plug to make the sender thread correctly (assuming the sender is 1/8 like my Defi).

Here are a few threads about the oil pressure install. They are somewhat long but contain good info. FYI I managed to pickup the plug adapter at my local Loews, along with some high temp seal from Advanced:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...+gauge+install

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...+gauge+install

As for the fuel pressure I"m still investigating. I'm going to meet with a good mechanic friend of mine tomorrow and see if he has some suggestions.

Good luck
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks budlong, kcevo, StreetPowerEvo,

I just sent David Buschur an e-mail with a link to this thread. Keep the suggestions coming hopefully they will be able to do the install with this information...

-Doug
Old Mar 30, 2004, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

StreetPowerEvo,

I did not realize you are in Cincinnati. I live there too. Keep me updated as to what you find out and let me know what your mechanic friend says. If Buschur can not do the install then I may bring my car to your friend so he can do mine as well.

I should get my car back on Thursday with or without the oil and fuel pressure gauges installed.

thanks again for the help,
-Doug
Old Mar 30, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

fuel pressure is second to simpliest next to a boost gauge... simply attach a vice grip to the fuel rail about a foot from the fuel pressure regulator... start the car with the clamp on the hose... this will make the car stall out but it clear the fuel line... remove gas tank cap to release pressure on the other end of line...cut the fuel line that goes to your fuel rail and put a brass "T" with some stainless clamps... run the wiring to hook up the gauge (ground, power, signal).. wire up the light.. your sending unit will connect to the "T"...mount the gauge and check for a fuel smell...then your done... this installation is for the general gauges out there like Autometer... i too have Greddy Oil/Fuel PSI and i don't know if the same installation process will work for the small sending unit...
Old Mar 30, 2004, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Jadiem,

Thanks - I just sent that to David Buschur. Hopefully with all this help I will be able to get them install my gauges.

-Doug
Old Mar 31, 2004, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Jadiem,

You go ahead and do that on your personal car. Here I can gaurantee that cutting into a high pressure rubber fuel line and running a "t" inline isn't going to happen. Fuel makes for an easy fire and doing something like that is rediculous.

Installing the fuel pressure gauge on the EVO without an aftermarket fuel rail that has a port on it or an aftermarket regulator with a port is a big NO-NO. There is NO way of safely installing a fuel pressure gauge on the EVO, with the stock fuel components in place.

Thanks,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Mar 31, 2004, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by davidbuschur
Jadiem,

You go ahead and do that on your personal car. Here I can gaurantee that cutting into a high pressure rubber fuel line and running a "t" inline isn't going to happen. Fuel makes for an easy fire and doing something like that is rediculous.

Installing the fuel pressure gauge on the EVO without an aftermarket fuel rail that has a port on it or an aftermarket regulator with a port is a big NO-NO. There is NO way of safely installing a fuel pressure gauge on the EVO, with the stock fuel components in place.

Thanks,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Couldn't agree anymore, personally I would change to all steel braided lines and AN fittings but that is expensive and in most cases over kill.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by kcevo

Couldn't agree anymore, personally I would change to all steel braided lines and AN fittings but that is expensive and in most cases over kill.
i totally agree with you, but the question was how to install a fuel pressure gauge not do i need a fuel rail too... i had an 03 accord v6 6 speed and the fuel rail had plastic inside of the hose with quick connects on each end... we tried to reuse the factory hose but that didn't work.. what we did was take off both quick connects and use a high pressure fuel hose (the ones that have the plastic sleeve around the whole hose)... we used a brass T as i stated and there were no leaks... we installed everything at about 5k miles and when i traded the car in i had 18k miles... when i say "we" i mean me and 2 Honda certified mechanics that work at my local dealer....
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by davidbuschur
Jadiem,

Thanks,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Yea, cutting a fuel line seemed kind of risky to me too; hearing it from David just drives it home.

Allrighty, so who can recommend a good fuel rail for a lightly modded Evo
Old Mar 31, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StreetPowerEvo

Yea, cutting a fuel line seemed kind of risky to me too; hearing it from David just drives it home.

Allrighty, so who can recommend a good fuel rail for a lightly modded Evo
You don't have to change the fuel rail to put this gauge in. You can use this fuel pressure gauge adapter from pruven performance. This looks to be the cheapest way to get the gauge installed.

Quick Reply: Gauge help --- please