Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

QM 8-leg feels soft after hard launch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QM 8-leg feels soft after hard launch

I posted this in the X section but figure it's pertinent across both platforms using the QM 8-leg

This past weekend I ran at the shootout and during my 3rd run I preloaded the drivetrain with the clutch while holding the e-brake (Quartermaster 8-leg twin). I came out with a blazing fast 2.26 60' lol (spinning problem). But afterward, the clutch released much lower than it had used to. It used to release right at the top of the pedal movement. Now it starts to engage damn near at the pedal stop.

- I've always ran a pedal stop. Installed per instructions: 1/4" past where the clutch releases. (on the pedal)
- Aftermarket CMC is installed
- Clutch has never seen this much heat before (maybe it just broke in)
- Up until this point, this clutch has been brutal streetability wise. I drove another X with the same clutch and it was a day in the park compared to mine. Now mine is comparable to his.
- The movement of the pedal is not as 'snappy' as it was. It feels more gradual. Just like it needs bled.
- I've manually bled the clutch to no avail
- I ran 5 1/8th mile drags Sunday and the clutch held like a champ, but it locked me out of gear a few times. Launches preloaded just fine with zero issues all day besides low engagement.
- Yesterday I power-bled the clutch. I ran 3/4 qt through the whole clutch system. It still grabs low.

I'm guessing since this clutch has never seen this much heat, it's just now officially broken in. Maybe it swells a bit when it's broken in?

My other guess is that the plates have warped.

So should I just adjust my pedal stop and keep rolling? Or is there something wrong? I'll call QM tomorrow to see what they say too.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to try bleeding it per McLeod's hydraulic TOB instructions. Dip the end of the bleed line in a cup of fluid, open it, the progressively pump the pedal from slow speed to a quicker speed to get some velocity behind the fluid. We'll see how it goes.