Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blown Headgasket or Bad T-stat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do a pressure test on the cooling system.. Also to check the thermostat feel the upper and lower hoses, they should be a similar temperature...

What kind of radiator are you running? Clogged radiator tubes could also do exactly what you're describing. You could also get a block tester, which sniffs for exhaust gas in the coolant.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
sounds like headgasket to me.

pump vs e85, generally means more boost & timing on e85 = higher cylinder pressure when firing.

150psi during compression test vs 2600 - 2900psi when firing (180-200 bar cylinder pressure)

If your actually knocking, then that cylinder pressure not only goes up (20/40 bar spikes = 280/600 psi more), but the rate @ which the spike rises fck's you too.

so yeah, depending how bad the issue is, it may only manifest while on e85 & high boost or simply idling = your HG is FCKD.
interesting this only happened on my last lap? so is that an indication of anything? no overheating at any other time
Old Sep 8, 2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Do a pressure test on the cooling system.. Also to check the thermostat feel the upper and lower hoses, they should be a similar temperature...

What kind of radiator are you running? Clogged radiator tubes could also do exactly what you're describing. You could also get a block tester, which sniffs for exhaust gas in the coolant.
stock cooling. car has 125k
Old Sep 8, 2016, 02:47 PM

block testing tonight!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by ShanesEVO
can you possibly post a picture? i only saw the black wire that connected to the strut tower brace itself
OEM on my Evo 8 is a black wire. However, connected firewall to manifold as in picture.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ShanesEVO
interesting this only happened on my last lap? so is that an indication of anything? no overheating at any other time
maybe it just took the time it did to blow out the coolant to a point where it began to overheat.....

what were the outside air temps when you were running?

hopefully the t-stat decided not to open & caused your engine to get hot. swapping out a t-stat is easy to do, especially if you were going to the track again.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The full overflow after coming off of the track sounds like my cart when I had a barely-blown HG. Basically like Barney described earlier; the HG would only leak under boost, so doing compression tests etc returned totally normal results. When the head came off, my shop showed me the block and you could see what path the compression gases were able to take to get to the cooling system.

That said, easier and much cheaper to test a thermostat than to go straight to a HG swap. I would start with testing the thermostat.
The following users liked this post:
fugiwara (Apr 1, 2022)
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
maybe it just took the time it did to blow out the coolant to a point where it began to overheat.....

what were the outside air temps when you were running?

hopefully the t-stat decided not to open & caused your engine to get hot. swapping out a t-stat is easy to do, especially if you were going to the track again.
it was like 85/86 degrees with like 20% humidity
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:23 AM

block tested... the liquid stayed blue!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Raptord
The full overflow after coming off of the track sounds like my cart when I had a barely-blown HG. Basically like Barney described earlier; the HG would only leak under boost, so doing compression tests etc returned totally normal results. When the head came off, my shop showed me the block and you could see what path the compression gases were able to take to get to the cooling system.

That said, easier and much cheaper to test a thermostat than to go straight to a HG swap. I would start with testing the thermostat.
New Tstat coming next week. so i'll be testing it as soon as i get it & the gasket
Old Sep 11, 2016, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If the problem persists and you are still on stock head bolts, I'm thinking you might try the one at a time ARP stud replacements. It might work and if it doesn't you still have the hardware for later.
The following users liked this post:
ShanesEVO (Sep 14, 2016)
Old May 17, 2017, 02:39 AM

Ok late to the party here but for others who might find this thread.

Not on an Evo but I had similar issues. Every 300 miles or so would loose enough water for heaters to blow cold. No signs of white smoke etc etc or water in oil.

What I done to prove was pressure test the coolant system by using a bike pump. Took the system to 1.3 bar and looked at pressure gauge on pump. First couple of times found minor leaks over an 8 hour period. When I finally was leak free, left for a week and pulled the plugs. Found about 5 drops of coolant on the top of one of the pistons. Now proceed to do the same test with valves closed on suspect cylinder. If no leak then you can go for exhaust closed/ inlet open to find where your crack is (either inlet or exhaust jacket). If it still appears with both valves closed then you have tracking from coolant jacket to combustion chamber.

For me I was lucky (hopefully) found two of the ARPs where not tightened to spec (standard spec) and the rest not to spec for MLS gasket. So far so good not had re-occurance. Hope this helps someone else. How did the OP get on what was the fix?

Last edited by scoobydo; May 17, 2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Paragraphs
Old May 17, 2017, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
block tester didn't show my failed head gasket- the fluid also stayed blue. there were not gasses in the coolant present when I was testing it. otherwise, the symptoms were identical. it eventually go worse to where a very long drive on the freeway would pressurize the system and push coolant out of the overflow.
Old May 17, 2017, 08:11 AM

I tried sniff test as well, didnt show anything both chemical and via hydrocarbon sniffer used for emission testing. Water had to be going somewhere
Old May 17, 2017, 07:47 PM

I ended up taking it to a local evo shop. They did a cylinder leak down test, everything looked good according to them. The tech that did it said that my head studs were stretching. They were replaced with ARP head studs, haven't had issues since.

Quick Reply: Blown Headgasket or Bad T-stat