Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drop in outside temperature, transmission now feels a lot worse... Really?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Drop in outside temperature, transmission now feels a lot worse... Really?

It's gotten colder over the past few days and the temperature has dropped in to the 60s/70s. It was 64 degrees on my way to work today.

The transmission never felt great, but now it feels horrible. It's more noticeable before the transmission has had time to warm up, but even when it's warmed up it still feels worse than it was when the temps outside were in the 80s and 90s. Now downshifting into third I'm getting a slight grind which did not happen when the outside temperatures were warmer. Every shift feels like crap.

Is it really possible that this small of a outside temperature change could affect the transmission this much?

Do I need to adjust my clutch as the outside temperature changes?

I was getting used to the bad transmission, but now this is just unbearable.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
what fluid? where does your clutch engage?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
what fluid? where does your clutch engage?
Changed back to diaqueen at 44k miles. Now at around 49k.

I want to say above halfway? I'm not really good at measuring that though...

Should I try increasing the clutch throw (turn the adjuster clockwise) slightly?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'd start with adjusting the clutch to engage higher (near stock, which is like up at the top) and maybe red line gear oil - idk about diaqueen and amsoil was never good for feel
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What exactly do you mean when you say bad transmission? Is your clutch dragging? My clutch was dragging for a good 7 months but the car was definitely drivable. Then one day it just got real bad and started grinding gears out of no where. But alot of people on this forum seem to have experienced alot of different "feels" from different trans fluids. Doubt a fluid would make that significant of a difference though, but it may.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
I'd start with adjusting the clutch to engage higher (near stock, which is like up at the top) and maybe red line gear oil - idk about diaqueen and amsoil was never good for feel
I was running the redline cocktail and I didn't like it at all. The diaqueen actually feels better to me.

Originally Posted by josh_evo9
What exactly do you mean when you say bad transmission? Is your clutch dragging? My clutch was dragging for a good 7 months but the car was definitely drivable. Then one day it just got real bad and started grinding gears out of no where. But alot of people on this forum seem to have experienced alot of different "feels" from different trans fluids. Doubt a fluid would make that significant of a difference though, but it may.
You know I've never been able to determine if my clutch is actually dragging. I don't have evoscan and I don't have a cable so I can't turn off my launch control to try the Jack's transmission test.

Basically what it feels like is a slight resistance to go into gear, as well as the very faint grind when downshifting into third..

I changed out my underhood and shifter bushings a while ago to WORKS and also wonder if they could be making it worse.

The thing is the transmission never felt great (third gear: either shift at very high RPM or shift extra slow into third), but it's very strange that when the temperatures outside dropped that it got much worse.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
My trans is always a bit more notchy when it gets cold out.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreeker
I was running the redline cocktail and I didn't like it at all. The diaqueen actually feels better to me.

You know I've never been able to determine if my clutch is actually dragging. I don't have evoscan and I don't have a cable so I can't turn off my launch control to try the Jack's transmission test.

Basically what it feels like is a slight resistance to go into gear, as well as the very faint grind when downshifting into third..

I changed out my underhood and shifter bushings a while ago to WORKS and also wonder if they could be making it worse.

The thing is the transmission never felt great (third gear: either shift at very high RPM or shift extra slow into third), but it's very strange that when the temperatures outside dropped that it got much worse.
With the temp dropping, it will feel different due to viscosity changes. My car had the same issue, resistance going into first and reverse. Not too bad, although it would creep and even lightly lurch here and there. Always shifted fine once moving though. I just don't know what happened, one day I went driving and it was really fighting me, grinding on downshifts and everything. Replaced the clutch and the car is fine now.

But always eliminate any possibilities that don't involve dropping the trans first. Check fluid level, bleed the clutch system, ensure no components are bent or loose Yada Yada.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

again though, sounds like you want to adjust the clutch engagement upwards first and see how that helps. I'm mechanically challenged and it's a piece of cake, there's a how to on the forum. just need a 12mm.

didn't mean the cocktail, I just run regular redline trans, but I'd look at clutch engagement first. it should be awkwardly high