Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch engagement issues - Exedy Triple Disk

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch engagement issues - Exedy Triple Disk

I've been having clutch engagement issues for a whiles and the problem gets much worse in colder temperatures. It's really odd in that it seems to vary with engine temperature but not at all predictably. Sometimes in the cold mornings it's fine sometimes it's not and changes as the car warms.

I don't seem to have high RPM lockout but it can be very difficult to shift into gear when stopped and especially have trouble getting into reverse.

Sometimes it's very difficult to get into first (I have to shift it into 3rd first, then first, and it's still difficult) sometimes it's butter smooth. Sometimes I'll blip the throttle to 2-3k and I'll be able to shift it. Upshifting while driving is fine, downshifting can be more difficult than it should be - I usually double clutch.

I replaced the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and got a full SS line (ie from MC to SC) and while that has made an improvement I'm still having issues. The clutch is adjusted as far out as it goes and the issues remain.

Any idea what the issue could possible be? The clutch disks and intermediate disks we replaced almost 3 years ago. Engine rebuilt 1 1/2 years ago. I don't recall such bad shifting problems before the engine was rebuilt but I remember difficulty getting into reverse. During the engine rebuilt the flywheel got resurfaced because the machine shop said it was warped.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm thinking warped clutch disks or something similar. Clutch fork maybe?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
It seems like you are having the same issues as I am having, and I am fairly certain it is due to warped disks. The clutch is not slipping, although last time i rebuilt my engine, the disks didn't have much life left in them. That is why I ordered the replacement disks along with new synchros to refresh the transmission when I drop it to swap the disks.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

^ Left me know how that goes

I understand this is a common problem with the Twin disk from reading others threads but I don't see much in terms of "hey I did this which fixed the issue". Mostly just people saying "hey yeah I have that too" so I was hoping some solutions might be chipped in. I got new disks about 25,000 miles ago and I'm not hard on my clutch at all so I can't think those are that bad already.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting can sometimes be improved by lubricating the shifter linkages, (if the clutch is not the cause of the problem), but it's a cheap and easy to try first before pulling the clutch out.
I had trouble with going into reverse, (it was getting harder to put in reverse, or it would get stuck in reverse and took extra effort to get out). Also the other gears like 1 and 2 were not as smooth to shift into.
I sprayed the shifter linkages with lubricant spray at the connection to the transmission (the two linkages under the battery) and now it's smooth. I spray them once or twice a year, and shifting is much better.
It's probably better to put grease on them, but it's easier to spray from a can with a straw. This way I don't even have to remove the battery, and it takes 30 seconds.
Also if the car sits for a long period of no driving at all, sometimes the shifting is not like it used to be, and spraying the linkages sometimes fixes it
Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo1001
Shifting can sometimes be improved by lubricating the shifter linkages, (if the clutch is not the cause of the problem), but it's a cheap and easy to try first before pulling the clutch out.
I had trouble with going into reverse, (it was getting harder to put in reverse, or it would get stuck in reverse and took extra effort to get out). Also the other gears like 1 and 2 were not as smooth to shift into.
I sprayed the shifter linkages with lubricant spray at the connection to the transmission (the two linkages under the battery) and now it's smooth. I spray them once or twice a year, and shifting is much better.
It's probably better to put grease on them, but it's easier to spray from a can with a straw. This way I don't even have to remove the battery, and it takes 30 seconds.
Also if the car sits for a long period of no driving at all, sometimes the shifting is not like it used to be, and spraying the linkages sometimes fixes it
I've actually wondering if it's a problem with the linkages/shifting forks but it's most likely me just hoping it's not the clutch. I'm assuming you mean at the bushing? I've actually replaced the bushings with aluminum bushing and everything is lubricated nicely. Hasn't solved the issues but made shifting feel a bit better for sure.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup, lubricate the bushings. I have the aluminum bushings too. They dry up, especially if I don't drive it for a few months.