Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost spike? Boost leak? Faulty wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost spike? Boost leak? Faulty wastegate?

I don't post on forums that much, but I am really stumped on this one. Note that before this happened to me i was getting boost creep. One day I did a 3rd gear pull and obviously still had boost creep, but once I hit around 18 pounds it's like my car didn't want to go anywhere. then a couple days after that I did another pull and my car hit around 16 pounds and beyond that point my car didn't want to go anywhere, all it does is that it revs super high but doesn't put the power to the wheels. To this day my car doesn't even hit boost. I'll drive and then give it a little bit of gas then around 2500-3000 rpm the car just feels gutless and just revs high. When the car revs high I don't see any blue smoke out the exhaust or black smoke. I took all the intercooler piping off and inspected everything but nothing was wrong with the piping nor couplers. I checked the egr and it is blocked off. i changed my wastegate actuator and adjusted it three times. I even looked at a video on youtube on how to adjust it. I bought a new ebc and changed that. Still nothing. When i was adjusting the wastegate I messed around with the wastegate flap and it wasn't even stuck and no resistance. I spun the turbine and it spun freely. Minimal shaft play. The only thing that I have not done is to take the turbo off and look at the wastegate from the inside. I also checked to see if there is any vacuum leaks and carefully inspected it to see any leaks and everything looked fine. I am just really stumped about this.

Any info will help. Thank you.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Sounds like your clutch might be slipping
Old Feb 16, 2017, 02:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
yup, clutch.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the clutch slips does that most likely mean I need a new clutch or can I do a clutch adjustment? The place I got it from said that they put in a new act clutch. They had a document saying that they did put in a new clutch and other maintenance.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 04:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Clutch plate is most likely worn.