Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

E85 smell under valve cover

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 06:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Waaaay tooooo lean
Old Feb 21, 2017, 06:22 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by RightSaid fred
Waaaay tooooo lean
nah they are fine, e85 burns very clean.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I just installed the stm sealed catch can which is hooked up -10an to intake tube and -10 an to back of valve cover and -6 an to intake manifold and side of valve cover. Which from what I understand it's what fp turbos want. Now I do believe that I'm running rich those spark plugs have like 100 miles on them if even that I'm running the Ngk iridium plugs gapped at 24 the plugs I had in before where the same. It gapped at 18 which made my motor sound like it a symphony ticking away. Now here is another question I have read that going to cold of a plug on e85 could be a bad thing seeing how e85 runs cooler. So would hotter plug change anything? Thinking of br8es possibly gapped at .20-.22 would that be worth it?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
You mentioned running a 10AN fitting on the back of the valve cover. Did you get rid of your PCV? As for the side vent is that 6AN just the press in fitting aka you didnt drill out the hole?

If the side vent has yet to be touched I'd strongly recommend opening up that hole as mentioned prior. That is probably one of the best and easiest ways to releave crankcase pressure before you get into venting your block and other more extreme measures.

Also, as I mentioned above your plugs look fine for e85 use. Which specific plugs are those? My car seems to prefer the iridium plugs and I've had great luck with the standard BPR7EIX running 30# on a BBK Full on e85. As you said e85 tends to cool things down so I wouldnt be concerned needing a colder plug.

What makes you think youre running rich? What are your AFR's during spoolup and up top?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 08:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Stick with the standard BPR7es plug gapped at .020", replace every other oil change (5-6k miles).

If you have the STM sealed catch can setup, you do not need to worry about crank case ventilation. I've installed that setup on 2 cars, it is a solid kit and does it's job very well.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

My car hates copper plugs especially when I switched to corn I coulnt make it 2 oil changes before fouling them out.

Regarding the STM sealed catch can, how it it actually helping to relieve CC pressure? Im guessing the PCV is gone? If not what could it possibly be doing? Not bashing their product Im sure the actual setup is really nice like all of their products; I just dont see without opening anything up how it could possibly do anything other than capture the excess blowby?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
My car hates copper plugs especially when I switched to corn I coulnt make it 2 oil changes before fouling them out.

Regarding the STM sealed catch can, how it it actually helping to relieve CC pressure? Im guessing the PCV is gone? If not what could it possibly be doing? Not bashing their product Im sure the actual setup is really nice like all of their products; I just dont see without opening anything up how it could possibly do anything other than capture the excess blowby?
It opens things up.

http://streettunedmotorsports.com/pa...ch_can_new.htm
Old Feb 22, 2017, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Slick setup indeed first Im seeing that. So its as I've suspected where they removed the PCV. Im Im understanding it correctly however, I still dont get how its actually opening things up. Sure the PCV is gone however there is a check valve. Unless I need more coffee, wouldnt that check valve be closed during WOT thus there is no venting taking place then at the most crucial time?

I still dont see whats actually being opened up...I like that its sealed and I like the routing and total package but what is actually allowing things to breathe? Im also seeing a 2nd check valve going between the IM side port and intake pipe. Whats the point of the check valve there?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 09:13 AM
EvoM Guru

The check valve to the intake mani is the PCV...lol.

It has a -10 fitting pressed into where the stock PCV valve went. It has the -6 fitting on the driver side, these go into once catch can. Then, it has a line with a check valve running from the can to the I/M, and a line with a check valve running to the intake pipe. At idle, the check valve to the I/M is open, drawing air through both valve cover ports (since they go to the same can and the can is not internally separated). Once the crank case reaches 0psi, the I/M would start drawing air all the way from the turbo intake pipe. Instead, their is a check valve on that line that closes, and the I/M is able to actually draw a vacuum on the crankcase. When on the throttle and in boost, the check valve to I/M shuts, and the one to intake pipe opens, and the intake pulls air from both valve cover ports.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I get that their check valve is acting as the PCV replacement.

But read everything you just mentioned. The way I see it the most important time for the CC pressure to be vented is during WOT application. That is when the pressure will be the greatest hence it needs to go somewhere or else it'll find its way out via the turbo oil seal or in the OP's case by popping out the dipstick.

"When on the throttle and in boost, the check valve to I/M shuts, and the one to intake pipe opens, and the intake pulls air from both valve cover ports."

If the check valve for the IM shuts during boost application then how could that air possibly be vented? It would go out the back port then hit the check valve and stop thus the only venting is coming from the side port, which hasnt been opened up as its just a press in fitting.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the check valve that goes to the intake manifold back to the catch can closes when wot. Now the hose going to the intake pipe will always be under a vaccum which has the back and side ports going to the catch can. So basically the vavlecover is always under vaccum and the check valve going to manifold just keeps the boost pressure out of the catch can. Why does it have the check valve going to the intake pipe? I'm not sure unless it has to do with running a recirculating bov and maybe just keep boost from blowing back thru the catch can?.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Yes, I get that their check valve is acting as the PCV replacement.

But read everything you just mentioned. The way I see it the most important time for the CC pressure to be vented is during WOT application. That is when the pressure will be the greatest hence it needs to go somewhere or else it'll find its way out via the turbo oil seal or in the OP's case by popping out the dipstick.

"When on the throttle and in boost, the check valve to I/M shuts, and the one to intake pipe opens, and the intake pulls air from both valve cover ports."

If the check valve for the IM shuts during boost application then how could that air possibly be vented? It would go out the back port then hit the check valve and stop thus the only venting is coming from the side port, which hasnt been opened up as its just a press in fitting.
Read what I wrote again. Both valve cover lines go to the catch can, there are no check valve in these line. The catch can is not internally separated. Both check valve lines also go to the catch can, and then to there respective vacuum source. And again, the catch can is not internally separated. So, which ever check valve is open, that line is pulling air from both valve cover lines.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 01:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Apexsilver03
Well the check valve that goes to the intake manifold back to the catch can closes when wot. Now the hose going to the intake pipe will always be under a vaccum which has the back and side ports going to the catch can. So basically the vavlecover is always under vaccum and the check valve going to manifold just keeps the boost pressure out of the catch can. Why does it have the check valve going to the intake pipe? I'm not sure unless it has to do with running a recirculating bov and maybe just keep boost from blowing back thru the catch can?.
There is a chece going to the intake so that once the crank case reaches 0psi, it closes and the I/M pulls a vacuum on the crank case. If that check valve wasn't there, the I/M would just pull air from the intake pipe, and the crank case would stay at 0psi, and never go to vacuum.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

OK I get it now. Very interesting setup indeed then. I guess that explains the check valve for the intake pipe then. So basically its always venting both ports its just a matter of when the check valve opens as to whether its being sucked into the IM after its in the CC. So I guess the tricky part with this setup is that it isnt internally baffled so the use of multiple check valves is needed.

So looking at the picture I see 5 ports. Im only counting 4 as I visualize it in my head. Guessing that is an extra for down the road if needed? Either way thanks for the info thats totally different from what Im familiar with and I havent seen a setup like that to date. Maybe Im out of the loop these days as I havent researched catch cans in a few years after I drilled out my VC. My setup seems to work well only issue Im having these days is that Im getting a lot of what I presume to be either water vapor or unburned ethanol filling up my cans. This is a new thing I've noticed and Im not sure if its my short commute to work not burning off the water vapor or something else but theyre filling up pretty quickly these days. Don't wanna derail this thread but now you got me thinking about that. Thoughts?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

The extra port is there because its there 3 port can, except instead of breather filters on top, they put AN fittings on to for the recirc lines.

My recirculated catch cans never have fluid in them. I'm pretty sure they get sucked dry because they are too small (radium) and air goes through them too quickly, and flow is too linear, to keep the fluid condensed. I clean my charge system annually, Intercooler gets sonic clean, and wipe out the charge pipes, etc.