Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ALS on sas or throttle kicker?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALS on sas or throttle kicker?

Hi,
I have built evo 5 rally car on 34mm restrictor. I want to run ALS, best on SAS system like it was originaly in Makinen car. But almost everybody is using throttle system. It is stressing head and valves. SAS looks similiar to current wrc cars.
So the question is why people don't use sas? Is it not efficient like in wrc cars? What is the reason?
Thanks a lot.
Old May 12, 2017, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you might get better response about this if you ask on lancerregister. USDM evos didn't get the SAS system. But as far as I know turbo life span dramatically goes down when using rally style anti-lag systems.
Old May 13, 2017, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
The matter is a complex combination of mis-guided goals and total lack of knowledge. This is because information regarding it's actual use versus the homolgated oem parts is scarce. It was nothing special to these people. They didn't think twice.

anyways sas is not going to give you boost in the manifold, it's meant to reduce the slowing down of turbo speed. It can be very daily driver friendly, and allows for the use in conjunction with, but not required a standard bypass valve. The oem hardware favors the icw method because the flow through the system is very small, and will surge (flutter) at relatively little delta turbo speed. Meaning? If you cause surge it's not gaining as much turbo speed. Also a leak in intercooler plumbing causes a increased turbo speed hence using a bypass valve as the leak.

my improved version used a higher flow sas valve that didn't surge as easily, and in turn allowed significant airflow through the system. My method relates to airflow because I used a MAF sensor to measure airflow on decel with system on, and off. The delta in Hz could be extrapolated, although I didn't know how to do that directly myself. I've seen spikes of airflow above 300 Hz increase over the value of the system being off, but average was 100 Hz. I'm one person on limited time and budget. I wasn't able to perfect it but I learned some valuable information and spent a couple turbos..

throttle kicker is able to be tied in but I didn't research this method in conjunction with. However I did play with a kicked als set up and there's no comparison as far as throttle response.