Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pressure plate hitting bell housing?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure plate hitting bell housing?

hey guys... was wondering if anyone has experience with this. i was on a long long drive last weekend and forwards the end of it when id step on the gas id hear a knocking/ grinding. sounded near the transmission so i pulled it out and there are grind marks on the pressure plate and bell housing. throw out bearing is destroyed but I'm trying to find out what might have caused this? will post pics later
Old May 13, 2017, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Check the flywheel bolts.
Old May 13, 2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Check the flywheel bolts.
took them out with a 3/8 electric impact. they were pretty tight. as you can see in the bell housing where it was rubbing. only on one side of the pressure plate weirdly.
Old May 13, 2017, 03:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
If the flywheel wasn't loose or pressure plate wasn't loose, that is likely crank walk....
Old May 13, 2017, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

There's a bunch of broken fingers stuck in the back of the bell housing. One probably got wedged between the pressure plate and the housing. Are those fingers missing off of the pressure plate? It looks like your clutch went boom.
Old May 13, 2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If the flywheel wasn't loose or pressure plate wasn't loose, that is likely crank walk....
Doesn't make much sense why it wouldn't grind all the way around the pressure plate it was only one side of the pressure plate....
Old May 13, 2017, 03:52 PM

There's a bunch of broken fingers stuck in the back of the bell housing. One probably got wedged between the pressure plate and the housing. Are those fingers missing off of the pressure plate? It looks like your clutch went boom.
Yes they are fingers, but no the clutch didn't go boom. The TOB was so bad and stuck I had to cut the fingers to get the clutch out of the bell housing.
Old May 13, 2017, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Now that everything is apart, what's the other side of the rub mark? Is the TOB locked?
Old May 13, 2017, 03:56 PM

Now that everything is apart, what's the other side of the rub mark?
You mean on the pressure plate? I'll get a pic in a bit
Old May 15, 2017, 04:51 PM

Now that everything is apart, what's the other side of the rub mark? Is the TOB locked?
TOB was pretty much locked. here is other side of clutch that was rubbing. seems to only be on one side.

Old May 15, 2017, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting, but I don't know what I learned from the picture. You say the flywheel bolts were tight, have you checked for crankwalk?
Old May 15, 2017, 07:32 PM

Interesting, but I don't know what I learned from the picture. You say the flywheel bolts were tight, have you checked for crankwalk?
everything was tight... i tried prying the flywheel a bit to see if i could get movement and i couldn't.... you would just think if it was crank walk it would be hitting all the way around the pressure plate not just one section... thats what I'm getting at with the picture
Old May 16, 2017, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't expect the clutch cover, being a stamped part, to be all that dimensionally even around its cirrcumference. Rather, what happened to the clearance between the cover and the bell housing during your trip should be your inquiry. You say no crank walk, no loose flywheel bolts and I assume no loose clutch cover bolts and I also assume no other loose parts or missing clutch disc material moving around in the bell housing. If all that is true then its a mystery to me.

I'd suggest, if you want to investigate this further, bolt on the flywheel and replacement cover, put a thin layer of modeling clay on the cover, mount the transmission and bar the engine.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianBarnes
hey guys... was wondering if anyone has experience with this. i was on a long long drive last weekend and forwards the end of it when id step on the gas id hear a knocking/ grinding. sounded near the transmission so i pulled it out and there are grind marks on the pressure plate and bell housing. throw out bearing is destroyed but I'm trying to find out what might have caused this? will post pics later
Originally Posted by BrianBarnes
Doesn't make much sense why it wouldn't grind all the way around the pressure plate it was only one side of the pressure plate....
Because you didn't say it was only on one side.