Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

272/272 cam timing test and tune

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
If you're going drag racing, you don't care as much about midrange torque and spool characteristics - things that you'd want for street antics.

For drag racing, you'd want to use something like -3/0 or maybe even -4/0.
Is this recomendation for GSC 272/272 cams as well?

I've been wanting to adjust my cam's for higher top end and dynoflash left them at 0/0 when he tuned my car.

Should I try the above combination or is that for some 280's?

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Since the GSC cams are virtual copies of the HKS cams, yes.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

great. thank you. i'd let you guys know how things go but I get my car back after 3mo/3wk worth of down time waiting on my transmission. i wont be able to let it lose for a while but i shall return eventually!

edit: btw i never shift past 7k. would you recomend I go the -3/0 setup or the -4/0 setup?

another cool thing about this is it'll keep me from spooling a tad earlier... possibly helping my gas mileage
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
Account Disabled

Alright here is a question that as far as i have read (i didnt read all 12 pages on this) but the 1 thing not mentioned as i havent seen anyway is the lift on the cams. my engine is totally built and forged but i got hks 264's in them now. I want the 272's but have no clue if i should go with 10.2 or the 10.8 and whats the performance changes with each one? i am not a track car i am a street car driver who likes making the street a track anyways let me know please

Kimo
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skoarpio
Alright here is a question that as far as i have read (i didnt read all 12 pages on this) but the 1 thing not mentioned as i havent seen anyway is the lift on the cams. my engine is totally built and forged but i got hks 264's in them now. I want the 272's but have no clue if i should go with 10.2 or the 10.8 and whats the performance changes with each one? i am not a track car i am a street car driver who likes making the street a track anyways let me know please

Kimo
it's not about lift, but about the grind. Depending on which turbo you're running and hence how much power you're making, that will dictate which cam to buy. But the best advice is ditch the HKS cams altogether.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:38 PM
Account Disabled

ok why would i ditch the HKS cams? I am running the gt30 set up
Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:08 PM

very intresting thread
Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skoarpio
ok why would i ditch the HKS cams? I am running the gt30 set up

do a search on this forum and you will find numerous threads on this. HKS cams are NOT the cams that make the most power for your turbo, the stock turbo or any other turbo you strap on the 4g63. Ask AMS, Buschur, etc.... Probably the worst choice for cams is HKS.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:35 PM
Account Disabled

ok to save myself the agony of all that reading please tell me what the best cams would be for the ATP GT3071R turbo please and why is the HKS so bad?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
do a search on this forum and you will find numerous threads on this. HKS cams are NOT the cams that make the most power for your turbo, the stock turbo or any other turbo you strap on the 4g63. Ask AMS, Buschur, etc.... Probably the worst choice for cams is HKS.
You my friend or flipping crazy. Provide proof from a non-vendor that state HKS are poor. Dumb ****.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
Account Disabled

Hey Evil what lift cams you running and what are your cam gears set too ?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am running HKS 272 cams with 10.5 lift. My cam gears are set to +1/-1.

There are many options to choose from but you have to weigh all the concequences of each. Simply bad mouthing HKS is stupidity.

If you want a decent idle (especially if you are on a flash), want value, and you dont want to upgrade the flipping valve train then what are your options?

You obviously aren't 100% about power or you would have gone with a bigger turbo. The GT30 and HKS272 will make beautiful power together. You will still have a solid idle, wont break the bank, and wont have to tear the head apart.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
You my friend or flipping crazy. Provide proof from a non-vendor that state HKS are poor. Dumb ****.
I may be a dumn ****, that's a matter of opinion, but provide proof that HKS makes better power Until then, you gotta go with what the vendors show.

GSC comes to mind as a better cam, cheaper also, and you don't have to upgrade the valvetrain. Cams are more of a "preference" than an absolute. It all depends on what you're looking for. Peak power, area under the curve, idle quality, etc. But to think HKS rules all is flipping crazy! The North American vendors have come a very long way in a very short time when it comes to embracing the import scene.

I would recommend GSC 272's (the new S2 grind) or possibly a 264/272 stagger, but that's just my opinion.

oh, forgot to add, I'm not bad mouthing HKS, I'm just sharing my opinion that they are not best cam for the Evo, and in my opinion, probably the worst. If I wanted to bad mouth HKS, I'd say their customer service sucks! Or something similar.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
HKS cams are NOT the cams that make the most power for your turbo, the stock turbo or any other turbo you strap on the 4g63.
Dubbleugly, I would say what you stated was quite abrasive. HKS and GSC are nearly identical nothing wrong with either one. HKS have been around longer and have been proven time and time again to make great power.

When I installed my HKS 272 cams I picked up 30WHP and 23WTQ across the power band (read: no loss of low end TQ or HP). I picked mine up for $400 used. I could probably sell them for more. I'm not sure I need any more proof than that. No need for higher lift and duration cams on the stock turbo especially if you want a solid idle without having to bump the RPM up.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Dubbleugly, I would say what you stated was quite abrasive. HKS and GSC are nearly identical nothing wrong with either one. HKS have been around longer and have been proven time and time again to make great power.

When I installed my HKS 272 cams I picked up 30WHP and 23WTQ across the power band (read: no loss of low end TQ or HP). I picked mine up for $400 used. I could probably sell them for more. I'm not sure I need any more proof than that. No need for higher lift and duration cams on the stock turbo especially if you want a solid idle without having to bump the RPM up.
yes, I can come across as abrasive at times without realizing it. My cam path on the Evo has consisted of HKS 264's, HKS 272's, and now GSC 280's. Before that, all I used was HKS on my supras, there really wasn't any other choice back then (that was proven and affordable). So like I said in an earlier post, I'm not bashing HKS, and I don't deny they make more power, I just think there are better choices out there for the Evo today. My personal opinion is that HKS is living off reputation in the cam department, and they have been overtaken by several other companies. Cams are very subjective, to each his own.

Quick Reply: 272/272 cam timing test and tune