Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

1-2 shift issue after car sat for 1 month

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
1-2 shift issue after car sat for 1 month

I've had my evo for almost 10 years now and have never had issues shifting it smoothly or quickly. For all this time the car has been my DD and also something that I auto-x on the weekends.

The car is a 5 speed, stock trans and I have the typical shifting modifications i.e underhood bushings base bushings lower engine mount SS clutch line and an ACT XTSS.

This combination has worked great for me literally no complaints whatsoever and I never had issues shifting hard even over 8k RPM. I know people have had issues with lockout with the ACT clutches and I dont think my issue is that.

Anyway, a couple months ago I finally picked up a truck so now the evo is no longer my DD. The car sat in my garage for about a month recently. The other day I took it out for a spin and I noticed my shifter felt stiff. It wouldnt spring right back to neutral like it should. My first thought was the shifter bushings had seized up from sitting so I took a look and found that the smaller underhood bushing was indeed seized. I was able to free it up and relubricated it and put it back together. Now the shifter springs back to neutral like it should and everything felt fine.

At that point I took it out for a spin and tried to bang the 1-2 like I've done literally a million times and for some reason it will not allow me to shift quickly. Its not like its locking me out where I go to bang 2nd and the shifter moves but doesnt find it. What actually happens is when I put pressure on the shifter with my hand I cant physically exert enough force to move the shifter to 2nd but after about .5 seconds it will free up and I can throw it in fine. The 2-3 shift feels normal and the 3-4 also feels fine.

But for whatever reason the 1-2 just isnt having it. Any ideas what I should take a look at? FWIW if I short shift it at say 6k I can throw it in but 8k isnt happening. What gives!?

Any feedback would be extremely helpful bc Im racing on Saturday and Id rather not give up a .5 second right at the start with my 1-2 and Id rather not short shift it if I dont have to.

The only things that come to mind are clutch adjustment, issues with the shifter bushings, engine mounts or even fluid in the trans. However all of these dont seem to make sense given that the last time I put the car away prior to it sitting for a month it shifted perfectly.

Thanks for all of the feedback and hope I can get to the bottom of this sooner than later bc I AM losing sleep over it
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When was the last time you bled the slave cylinder babycakes?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Lol I dont remember. Last time I did brakes so like late last year. Wish I had some fluid really should bleed that and my brakes anyway but leh sigh. IDK though clutch pedal feels fine. And why only the 1-2?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Lol I dont remember. Last time I did brakes so like late last year. Wish I had some fluid really should bleed that and my brakes anyway but leh sigh. IDK though clutch pedal feels fine. And why only the 1-2?
I think 1st and 2nd gears have more syncros so if it isn't fully releasing the clutch maybe that is causing a delay in releasing the fork? I'm literally guessing at this point.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure there is any science to support that but sounds plausible. IDK how the trans works, just lots of gears and sliders and shift forks and syncros spinning and doing things.

Im hoping someone smart will chime in...

I mean sure I can go bleed the clutch and put in new trans fluid and adjust the clutch but it would be nice to have some theory as to why after sitting it went bad. It didnt even sit for that long.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Im hoping someone smart will chime in...
I'll remember that when we tune your hooptie tonight
Old Aug 23, 2017, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Lolzzz I stand behind what I said

On a serious note, anyone else have feedback? What would cause a shifter to physically be stiff and not allow it to move out of 1st. Its as if Im not strong enough and then it just says nevermind here's 2nd gear. I mean technically I should be able to power shift it and not even need to use the clutch. Its almost as if the issue isnt getting into 2nd but rather getting out of 1st.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I've seen where new transmissions will block a gear. I don't have an explanation is but after several days of driving the problem is gone.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

^In that case it seems as though the gears need to become acquainted with each other so everything moves and slides nice and easily. But I honestly have no idea. My trans isnt new however so thats certainly not the case here, lol!

I emailed Jon@TRE last night and his response was that it sounds like the clutch isnt fully releasing. That seems to make the most sense so Im going to move the engagement point upward tonight and see if that helps.

What kills me is that it was fine before and now not so much. That's why I thought it was something more abstract.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
My car is hard to shift 1-2 for the first few miles after it's been sitting a while. Also, just about every car I've put a clutch in or done a trans fluid change (including mine) doesn't like the 1-2 for the first few miles. They all need time to let the fluid circulate. May be what you're experiencing.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the feedback. Its just really strange. I can understand the fluid needing to circulate but how long could that possibly take? After a few miles you'd think all would be well...I gotta swap wheels tonight so Im gunna move the engagement point upward some and contemplating swapping trans fluid too bc I have a case of it anyway and certainly couldn't hurt. No way thats the issue but fresh fluid is always nice. Wish I could bleed my clutch too but I dont have any brake fluid.

Although, if miles are what make the car happy then maybe Ill just adjust the clutch tonight maybe put in fresh trans fluid and then drive the car to work tomorrow and swap wheels tomorrow night. Just feeling lazy and hoping to have a relaxing Fri night so hoping to be productive tonight.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Notchy shifting usually goes away within 3-5 miles for me.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

It wasnt notchy though. The best way to describe it is as if the shifter would get stuck in 1st. Not even locking me out of 2nd but rather locking me in 1st
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Oh, that's a different issue. Def sounds like clutch not disengaging if you can't get it out of first...lol
Old Aug 24, 2017, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yep ok cool cool I'll adjust it tonight and see if that makes a difference. Im able to short shift it at say 6k but wont let me bang the shift at 8k. 2-3 OTOH is fine at 8k so just found that strange its just the 1-2.

When in doubt adjust the clutch; it was just throwing me off since it was fine prior to sitting. I knew this would happen; I think she is mad at me. Ill adjust it tonight and give it the good old Italian tune up and Im sure all will be well.

Quick Reply: 1-2 shift issue after car sat for 1 month