Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mfactory 1.0 way rear diff, who has info?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mfactory 1.0 way rear diff, who has info?

http://store.teammfactory.com/evo-vi...-rear-non-ayc/
Old Oct 17, 2017, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I've run the 1way front diff for a couple years, I have a few posts about my feelings on the front diff which is fantastic. I cant speak for the rear but an option for a 1way rear isn't really useful. When the 1way would have a benefit, you should be lifting the inside rear.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
I've run the 1way front diff for a couple years, I have a few posts about my feelings on the front diff which is fantastic. I cant speak for the rear but an option for a 1way rear isn't really useful. When the 1way would have a benefit, you should be lifting the inside rear.
Okay so excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that 1way would be a bad idea for the rear? Is the OEM one 1way? I'm under the impression that 1.5 or 2 way would induce throttle off understeer, is that wrong?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by suby2evo
Okay so excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that 1way would be a bad idea for the rear? Is the OEM one 1way? I'm under the impression that 1.5 or 2 way would induce throttle off understeer, is that wrong?
OEM is 1.5-way. The rear diff by itself cannot promote understeer. A 1.5-way or 2.0-way rear diff promotes rotation/oversteer by locking off-throttle on corner entry, while a 1.0-way would make the rear end very neutral off throttle. I'm not sure what Dallas J was getting at, but a 1.0-way rear diff wouldn't be very useful on our cars. Our cars are nose-heavy with a 50/50 torque split - we need the rear to induce some rotation to overcome the heavy nose (FWD characteristics). Rear rotation allows you to have the car pointed in the right direction sooner, which will allow you to be on the power sooner, taking full advantage of the AWD system. If you only use the car on pavement, a 1-way front LSD is ideal (1.5-way or 2-way front LSD will plow/understeer). Stick to 1.5-way rear, it's very effective in most conditions - unless you want a 'hoon'/drift-type setup where the back is very lively going into a corner, then go 2-way.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by RS200
OEM is 1.5-way. The rear diff by itself cannot promote understeer. A 1.5-way or 2.0-way rear diff promotes rotation/oversteer by locking off-throttle on corner entry, while a 1.0-way would make the rear end very neutral off throttle. I'm not sure what Dallas J was getting at, but a 1.0-way rear diff wouldn't be very useful on our cars. Our cars are nose-heavy with a 50/50 torque split - we need the rear to induce some rotation to overcome the heavy nose (FWD characteristics). Rear rotation allows you to have the car pointed in the right direction sooner, which will allow you to be on the power sooner, taking full advantage of the AWD system. If you only use the car on pavement, a 1-way front LSD is ideal (1.5-way or 2-way front LSD will plow/understeer). Stick to 1.5-way rear, it's very effective in most conditions - unless you want a 'hoon'/drift-type setup where the back is very lively going into a corner, then go 2-way.
have to distinguish on power and off power. 1.5way and 2way can and does create understeer in the rear. it's binding the wheels together on decel, which makes it difficult for them to rotate at different speeds, which is what they need to do in order to turn better. on the flip side a 1.5 way (don't consider 2way) will provide stability. theoretically, on power, they should be able to lock at the same rate. Traditionally guys run 1.5way in the rear, 1 way in the front. I'm not sure under which circumstance you would run a 1 way in the rear though. i guess in theory if you've got one wheel in the air while decelerating, which is not uncommon in autocross, a 1way wouldn't care, while a 1.5 way would halfway try to clamp them together?