Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Do you think this thread will be helpful for those of us trying to resolve this?
Yes, definitely.
64.52%
No, or maybe... depends on who at Mitsu is listening.
35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2004, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
  1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? YES
  2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? Exedy Single Hyper Clutch
  3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error? 15K
  4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? They did and ran allll the test, said the same thing they tell everyone, known issue with over sensitive sensor
  5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? They called and said the ECU flash would fix the problem, because everything was running to spec
  6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? 93 oct Mob/94 Sunonco
  7. What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."
50-70 degrees normal temps, however it always seems to come on when i'm driving on the highway, and accelerating lightly 50-70. When light is on my exhaust pops, and I have to rev my clutch up to get the car to move in first with loads of clutch shudder. When it's off runs like a champ

Last edited by jabbawoni; May 25, 2004 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
  1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

Yes, twice
  2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

Yes. K&N Drop-in filter, 1G DSM BOV, JIC exhaust, Mail-In Dynoflash
  3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

Yes, only once. The SES light is still on now after tripping it a second time.
  5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

No attempt to diagnose the misfire was made. Tech at dealership advised that an ECU reflash was coming from to correct the issue. Code was cleared. Second instance of P0300 occurred after approximately 20 minutes (30 miles) of highway driving after filling up at FlyingJ with 91 octane. Car goes in tomorrow to a different dealership.
  6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

Brand varies, usually Arco, Mobil or Chevron. 91 octane pump gas.
  7. What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

Hot as hell and dry, 100+ degrees, less than 20% humidity, Phoenix, AZ area. First misfire occurred after 1 hour (70 miles) of highway driving after gassing up at Mobil with 91 octane. Humidity was less than 20%, and temperature outside was approx 100 degrees.
  8. If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.

I have not added any modifications to my car in the last approximately 7,000 miles. I have also noticed that after gassing up, the car runs very rough at idle, almost feels like it is going to stall. I also experience the rough idle no matter what brand of fuel I use.
Here u go, sir.

Last edited by naucrx; Jul 7, 2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
[list=1][*]Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

Yes

[*]Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

K&N drop-in

[*]At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

9,000 miles

[*]Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

Several times

[*]Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

Sort of(courtesy buyback). Replaced: PCM(twice), Turbo w/ wastegate solenoid, MAF, Crank & Cam position sensors, Sparkplugs, Coils, Plugwires, Knock sensor, Fuel injectors, Fuel rail, Fuel pump, Completly ripped out interior and checked entire wiring harness and connectors(interior & exterior), I think that's it.
[*]What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

93 octane Amoco
[*]What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

@45 degrees, weather had no effects on it.
[*]If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.

This was on my first Evo it was bought back after @ two months of constant work and no improvement.

The car would only do this in third and fourth gears.

After unhooking the knock sensor the problem went away.

The final answer was a harmonic from the trans. making the PCM think there was detonation.

Eventhough I told the dealer this was a common problem for the Evo, because the Car would go a long time misfiring and not throwing the p0300 they didn't think it was the same thing.

I was running Redline oil in the Trans.

For more info see the thread "unf**kingbelievable".

Last edited by hotrod2448; Sep 2, 2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks hotrod.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Your welcome, bump for the weekend.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
After unhooking the knock sensor the problem went away.

The final answer was a harmonic from the trans. making the PCM think there was detonation.
If u unhook the knock sensor is there anything else that u are endangering?

How did they fix the harmonic from the tranny?
Old Feb 15, 2005, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOmann
If u unhook the knock sensor is there anything else that u are endangering?

How did they fix the harmonic from the tranny?
You are endangering your engine completely, it has no method of knowing if there is knock occuring.

There is no fix for the tranny other than replacement, and it only comes back later.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
You are endangering your engine completely, it has no method of knowing if there is knock occuring.

There is no fix for the tranny other than replacement, and it only comes back later.
So the tranny is a constant defect? What causes the harmonics for the tranny? Mine started after a Exedy single clutch was installed.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOmann
So the tranny is a constant defect? What causes the harmonics for the tranny? Mine started after a Exedy single clutch was installed.
Yes and I hate to bring bad news but you are basically screwed now that you have an aftermarket clutch in place. They will hem and haw about it, maybe reflash your ecu if you are lucky, that'll be it.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=webguy330i]I put together some questions for you all to answer. Please take a moment to fill this out so I can get a handle on the various conditions/situations in which this error is occuring.

NOTE: Please do NOT respond to this if 1) you haven't experienced this problem, 2) you aren't answering the questions.

Also, PLEASE do not go o/t in this thread or otherwise chat about anything. This thread is strictly for taking my short little survey. Thanks.

1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no) yes
  2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them. no not at first. got it once when i was stock. and a couple more times with intake and afc. i have more mods now though and i rarely get the code. 22000 miles now.
  3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error? about 2000
  4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? yes Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)yes p0300
  5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these) no. yes, they did a compression check and leak down test, replaced spark plugs, checked coils and wires and made sure injectors were working properly. yes they called tech line, after about my third or fiurth time being in there tech line told them i need to take my aftermarket stuff off so they can further diagnose the problem. and the mitsu tech tried telling me that my intake throws my tps voltage off and may cause the misfire code which is complete bs. after about the second time all that was on the car was intake and afc.

6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)only use 93 octane which is from a gas station called farm crest.

7. What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."i've noticed when i did get the code it was either warm or hot outside, somewhere between 60 and 80f. also it only happened when my car was idling or when i was babying it in a low gear. never once came on when i "beating" on it. i live in colorado so alot of times it is cold one day then hot the next. today for example, was about 60-70 yesterday and now there is snow on the ground today.

8. If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem. i think it just varies on the car. a friend of mine has relatively the same mods as i do and his light is always on. he mostly throws other than a p0300 code now, has taken his car in and always is throws a p0301 through p0304. which is cylinder specific rather than a random misfire p0300. also when i was having my ses light the reflash was not available yet. if i wanted to i guess i could take my stuff off and wait for the code and then get the reflash but i rarely get it so it doesnt bother me, and i've heard that some people get the reflash then they still get the misfire code.in case your wondering about current mods: intake kit, afc, boost controller, bov, tbe, front mount, hard pipes, and here soon i'll be putting on turbo kit, injectors, and some arp hardware. i'm going to be swapping out my friends injectors with new ones once the weather clears up to see what that does for his car.

Last edited by WHTEVO; Feb 16, 2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks WHTEVO.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

no problem. hope you get this all worked out. and something gets figured out why this exactly happens.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
I put together some questions for you all to answer. Please take a moment to fill this out so I can get a handle on the various conditions/situations in which this error is occuring.

NOTE: Please do NOT respond to this if 1) you haven't experienced this problem, 2) you aren't answering the questions.

Also, PLEASE do not go o/t in this thread or otherwise chat about anything. This thread is strictly for taking my short little survey. Thanks.
  1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? Yes
  2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? AEM SRI
  3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error? Bought car used with ~11K on it. 11.5K was my first instance with car.
  4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? Took car in for TSB revision. Dealership said it did not exist. Other dealership said it exists but laptop is down and has yet to call me back about it.
  5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? No. No. No.
  6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? 93 octane
  7. What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a humid, 85 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 85 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."
  8. If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.
Dealerships have done absolutely nothing to fix this problem for me. One tells me the TSB doesn't exist, another does but they can't do anything about it due to their laptop being broken and they'll call me when it's ready. 3 months later and I still here nothing from them. This is getting ridiculous.

Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

NO. It came on and won't go away. I clear it with a scanner and it still pops back on no matter what.

2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

Yes. I have a lot of mods but it didn't come on until I put in cams. It came on RIGHT after that.

3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

8K?

4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

I have a scanner. I never go to the dealer since they don't have a fix.

5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

NA

6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

93 octane shell, chevron, mobil, exxon

Misfire came on in November around 50 deg weather. Dry.

NA
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by P0300
LOL

Why do you plague me so much P0300?

Quick Reply: p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey