Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Do you think this thread will be helpful for those of us trying to resolve this?
Yes, definitely.
64.52%
No, or maybe... depends on who at Mitsu is listening.
35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
WOW, back from the dead. I was wondering if this problem went away or if people just stopped talking about it.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, I am still in litigation with these fools.

hotrod I'm sending you a PM.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
LOL

Why do you plague me so much P0300?
You can tell I got so ridiculously fed up with it I decided to make it my username.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by P0300
You can tell I got so ridiculously fed up with it I decided to make it my username.
Genius.

Have you been reflashed?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, no I haven't. I'm waiting to see if Shiv or Mark are going to come to St. Louis before I do anything. Rather drive that far than do a mail in or deal with the dealership.
BTW: I'm drunk, was that sarcasm?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by P0300
Haha, no I haven't. I'm waiting to see if Shiv or Mark are going to come to St. Louis before I do anything. Rather drive that far than do a mail in or deal with the dealership.
BTW: I'm drunk, was that sarcasm?
I wish I were drunk, but no that wasn't sarcasm, just curious.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Haha, sorry, I'm a defensive drunk *burp*. Actually, I'd be happier if Mark or Shiv would come to Kansas City. I'd pick you up from the airport....I promise.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

Yes

Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

Downpipe, Test Pipe, Exhaust, Cams, Reflash

At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

After cams were installed 28K miles

Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

Yes

Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

They tried to resolve the problem even with the mods on the car (surprised). They reflashed my ECU with updated code per a TSB and Tech Line article.

What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

Shell 91 octane

What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

San Francisco Bay Area - First got my P0300 around 65 degrees and keeps doing it regardless of temps.

If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.

Last edited by Option2; Feb 21, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Option2, have you checked out San Rafael?
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
Hey Option2, have you checked out San Rafael?
No I haven't yet. I've been planning to make a trip there but I've been so busy with work lately.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Option2
No I haven't yet. I've been planning to make a trip there but I've been so busy with work lately.
it sucks that they are such a drive, when I spoke with them once they seemed like the anti-mitsubishi dealer.

Let us know how that turns out.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 12:15 AM

Hi everybody

I also had the problem a few times up to now...

Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)
Had it 4 times up to now, 1500km, 3000km, 4500km, 4550km. The light went on and wouldnt go of after restarting the engine. Only after resetting, resp. disconnect the battery.
The Mitsu-dealer checked it, but as I didnt know by then, I didnt ask for the name of the code. They said "...could be something with the ignition, but we cant say more yet... we programmed something new...try out"
But it came back after 20km!

Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.
No, all stock up to now.

At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?
As said up above: 1500km, 3000km, 4500km, 4550km.
First I thought, there must be a cumulative component to the problem because of the periodicity it appeared.

Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)
As said above...

Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)
As said above: Checked it, didnt name it, said, they programmed something new, but it just keeps comming back.
I dont think, they called techline.

What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)
Normally BP Superplus Oktan 98, Switzerland.

What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."
I experianced it all during wintertime, but have bought the car only in January, so time will tell.
I live in Switzerland, lowlands.
It was usually around 0°C, once wet/ misty, once dry, doesnt seem to make a difference.

If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.
The problem always comes under practicly the same conditions:
Fully hot engine, driving on the highway, starting in 4th gear, starting to pull, floor it, rev it to about 5500-6000rpm, 5th gear and then a strange engine-sound and slight vibrations, like running on 3 cylinders for some seconds, a loss of power during this time, the engine check-light goes on.
After that it seems to me, the car runs just normal, even though the check-light is on. It would not go of after restarting, only after disconnecting the battery. Afterwards I can try whatever I want, pulling like crazy, reving, whatever, I cant reproduce the mistake...

Now a question of mine:
Did anybody up to now find a real solution for the problem? Did anybody with a standalone aftermarket ECU ever experiance the mistake again?
I searched the whole forum for a solution, but didnt find a real one, only many suggestions.

Also here an idea / suggestion of mine:
As the mistake appeared periodicly for the first 3 times, it seems to me that there could be a cumulative component to bring out the missfunktion.
I know from some Porsches, where the ECU tried to "optimice" the maps on the drivers stile, so over time the result were some "impossible" maps and the engine went out. The engine would only start again after resetting the ECU.
So the solution was then to take the ECU over a switched power of the ignition. This leads to resetting everytime you start your engine, respectivly switching off you engine.
Could this be a solution for our problem?

Andi Kunz
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? sure enough
  2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them. full 3 inch turbo outlet back exhaust with cat delete, racing tubular manifold, hard pipe kit, manual boost controler, super afc2, port and polished manifold turbo outlet and exhaust inlet, perrin intake tube with sponge filter, upgraded plugs, tuboxs recirculation valve
  3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error? i dont remember exactly some where arround 16k
  4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? um yeah i am the dealer
  5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? yup, yup, and yup, mitsu is creating a reflash to remidy this code
  6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? we use 93 here
  7. What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever." um right now cold, live in easley, sc. and it did it anytime under boost
  8. If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem. lets see, mmna and district rep wouldnt have said anything, since they done work on the cars, now the tech and tech line would, like i said mitsu is working on a reflash program to fix this code
Old Feb 25, 2005, 09:11 AM

Thumbs up

I think, I will like my Mitsu-Dealer...

They rang me up today just to tell me that they are working on the problem. They ordered a new ECU for my car which should arive next week. They will exchange this for free as it seems.
This is by the way not clear from the beginning as in Switzerland you cant get the MR (like I dirve one) officially, so Mitsu Switzerland doesnt give any warranty...

To be continued...
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Kunz,

There have been a couple of people that have had their transmissions replaced under warranty with this issue. I don't believe any of them were MR's but I have not kept up with this lately. The issue in my case and a couple of other people's was that the transmission was creating a harmonic that the knock sensor was hearing and interpretting as detonation and would then pull ignition timing causing a misfire. I'm sure there have been other causes but, I can't remember off hand. I've got a thread containing what they changed on my car I think it's referenced in my post in this thread on page 1.

Quick Reply: p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey