Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Do you think this thread will be helpful for those of us trying to resolve this?
Yes, definitely.
64.52%
No, or maybe... depends on who at Mitsu is listening.
35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2005, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Hotrod!

And what about the Code, respectivly the mistake? Did it ever come back again? And what did they find in the transmission to be wrong? Any "unnatural" wear? Any bearings with to much play?
I am looking foreward the new ECU and of course hope, it will be all done with it. Even though there doesnt seem to be any real danger running the car like this, it is a bit of a pain and not worthy for a car with all the other qualities...
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
  1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

yes multiple instances with increasing frequency

2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

multiple mods, midfire started after magnacor wire install.

3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

~33k
  4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

No, pulled the code with my own ODBII datalogger and confirmed the p0300 codes.
  5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

CA 91 octane
  7. What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

ambiant temps were always between 48-60 degrees, mild weather conditions.
  8. If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.
All instances happened at light throttle ~20%, ambiant temps between 48-60 degrees, always near 4000rpm. Seems to happen most when the ECU is switching from closed loop to open loop or vise versa.

I have also experianced several p0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold after installing a 3" exhaust, a few times along with the p0300.

I suspect my O2 sensors are starting to fail, or at least they are not as accurate after 33k miles. When I capture the freeze frame data from the DTC code, the O2 sensor voltages seem eratic. I don't know how normal this is for narrow band sensors.

I also took a pyrometer and measured the temps of each runner on the exhaust to get some idea of the exhaust temps. I have noticed that my exhaust temps seem a bit higher than measurements taken on a stock EVO, indicating a leaner mixture; probably due to the exhaust and no tuning. The temps on the #2 runner are higher than the rest.

I have not called the dealer to ask about a reflash yet, I will be doing that later this week.

Last edited by chrisw; Mar 16, 2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

haven't had much luck with the flash. the stumble/misfire/jerking is still there..but now no po300 code

Originally Posted by chrisw
All instances happened at light throttle ~20%, ambiant temps between 48-60 degrees, always near 4000rpm. Seems to happen most when the ECU is switching from closed loop to open loop or vise versa.

I have also experianced several p0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold after installing a 3" exhaust, a few times along with the p0300.

I suspect my O2 sensors are starting to fail, or at least they are not as accurate after 33k miles. When I capture the freeze frame data from the DTC code, the O2 sensor voltages seem eratic. I don't know how normal this is for narrow band sensors.

I also took a pyrometer and measured the temps of each runner on the exhaust to get some idea of the exhaust temps. I have noticed that my exhaust temps seem a bit higher than measurements taken on a stock EVO, indicating a leaner mixture; probably due to the exhaust and no tuning. The temps on the #2 runner are higher than the rest.

I have not called the dealer to ask about a reflash yet, I will be doing that later this week.