Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Do you think this thread will be helpful for those of us trying to resolve this?
Yes, definitely.
64.52%
No, or maybe... depends on who at Mitsu is listening.
35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey

I put together some questions for you all to answer. Please take a moment to fill this out so I can get a handle on the various conditions/situations in which this error is occuring.

NOTE: Please do NOT respond to this if 1) you haven't experienced this problem, 2) you aren't answering the questions.

Also, PLEASE do not go o/t in this thread or otherwise chat about anything. This thread is strictly for taking my short little survey. Thanks.

[list=1][*]Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

[*]Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

[*]At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

[*]Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

[*]Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

[*]What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

[*]What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

[*]If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.

[/list=1]

Thanks ya'll, I hope we can centralize most of the information about this problem as it has been spread around the various forums of this board like KY, making it virtually impossible to pull it all together. I'll go first...

Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Re: p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey

Originally posted by webguy330i
[list=1][*]Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

Yes.
[*]Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

Yes: HKS RS intake, Forge MS d/v, grounding kit

Appx. 10,000
[*]Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

Yes, multiple instances of p0300.
[*]Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

No not yet. They refuse to work on it until Tech Line says it's ok. They have called tech line twice: 1st time resulted in a "we are working on it, sit tight" response. 2nd one is still being waited on for a return call, hoping for some other ideas on perhaps fixing the problem.

Typically running Mobil 93oct, Exxon 93oct, Hess 93oct or Sunoco 93oct
[*]What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

See question for my past 4 months of weather. Good times.
[*]If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.

I recently put in a few gallons of Quik Fill gas from a local station. SES light went out and no misfires have been experienced since. Service manager seemed to think that the recent fuel oxygenation standards changes may have some adverse effect on the ecu, who knows for sure though. Waiting for tech line to call back right now to see if there is anything else we can do while we wait for the currently-vaporware ecu reflash/fix.
[/list=1]
You can all feel free to quote THIS message and edit it appropriately for formatting ease. Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

What happened to my response?!! that was a lot of work!!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I was just gonna say, wtf happened??!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:54 AM

1. Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

Yes. twice
  2. Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

NONE.
  3. At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

4. Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

Yes. it was pulled and reset.
  5. Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

No, just reset and told me to keep an eye on it. I was told the ECU/ECM is sensative to misfires and that it was somewhat common.
  6. What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

Yes.. California 91 Octane (our maximum octane)
  7. What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

Average for California 60-mid 70s high... lows in the 60s?
  8. If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.

The Tech and SVC MGR asked if the car had not been used for awhile (ie parked/stored for a long duration)...... The tech also briefly said something about the plugs... I believe they were referring the to the possiblity of residue or unspent gas on the plugs?????
.................................................. .................................................. ...
Thanks ya'll, I hope we can centralize most of the information about this problem as it has been spread around the various forums of this board like KY, making it virtually impossible to pull it all together. I'll go first...

Last edited by RaysurX; Aug 19, 2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put together some questions for you all to answer. Please take a moment to fill this out so I can get a handle on the various conditions/situations in which this error is occuring.

NOTE: Please do NOT respond to this if 1) you haven't experienced this problem, 2) you aren't answering the questions.

Also, PLEASE do not go o/t in this thread or otherwise chat about anything. This thread is strictly for taking my short little survey. Thanks.

YES

YES

[*]Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5

yes

checked plugs, wires, boots. But have no fix at this time

93 octane

Savannah Ga. Cool weather between 50-80. Have noticed the problem on comes up on the freeway in 5th gear around 3800rpms cruising. It is cleared by letting off the throttle completely. But will come back

[/list=1]

Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

Yes.

Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.

YES getting the code before and after I started modding, MODS are 3 inch turbo back,K&N drop in ,DynoFlash,Greddy Type S BOV,DENSO SPARK PLUGS stock heat,magnecore wires,testpipe, and Hallman pro RX MBC

At approximately what mileage did you first enjoy the p030x error?

Appx. 10,000

Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)

NO

Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)

N/A

What is your primary brand of gas/octane level? (US-spec please, R+M/2)

Typically running Mobil 91oct, Exxon 91oct,Southern CALI dinosaur extrement

What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."

Ca,Orange County nice weather 70F and above

If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.

Only happens on the freeway at a constant speed, about 4000 rpm at about 80 MPH , I can gas it then let off and will get the code. I have never got the code on city streets only on the freeway at a constant speed...sometimes can feel a certain hesitation when the code happens sometimes theres no feeling... I use a datalogger so I now its the PO300-funny that it all started at about 10000 miles,I tried taking off magnecores same problem,now Im going to try to take off BOV and put stock back on see what happens.........didnt have any problems before...Going to try stock plugs this week and see what happens since Im getting a custom street tune this week...

Last edited by DocMortal; Apr 7, 2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks very much for the feedback guys. I've posted some more info in the main p0300 discussion thread here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&goto=lastpost
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, twice
Turbo Timer
Yes, not sure of exact code.
No, No, Not to my knowledge.
Local station 93, Sunoco Ultra 94
Both times, sunny, 40s, dry
Dealer could not replicate. I replicated on same road with same condition, driving at 70ish for 40 miles, accel to 80, shudder at 80, SES on, slight loss of power, release pedal, reapply, gone
[/list=1]

[/B][/QUOTE]
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

1) SES just came on at 34k miles for the first time. I had the code pulled at autozone and there were 2 po300, 1 for a single cylinder misfire, and the other for multiple. I've never felt the symptons though.

2) Just a mild custom dyno flash tune at 15k miles.

3) First SES at 34k miles.

4) Not going to the dealer for now until theres a definite fix.

6) 93 octane mobile/exxon

7) lately around 40-60 degrees.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

34k! Wow, interesting that it took that long. Thanks for the update.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Better get back before you warranty is up so they register the problem and provide service post-warrant mileage. Also, Webguy and I have spoken and if the problem is the throwout bearing wearing down you may want to get them to look at it and shoot for a repair, not just an ECU fix. Good luck.
Old May 6, 2004, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

p0300 survey

Have you had multiple instances of the SES light coming on/going off and confirmed it to be the p0300 or p030x code? (yes/no)

Did you have any modifications on your car when you experienced one or more misfires (p030x code occuring)? If so, please list them.
Yes.
HKS RS Intake, JIC Headers, DNP O2 Housing, Perrin downpipe/catback, Random Tech High-Flow cat, Linneage Grounding Wires, Blitz TT, XFlash/XEDE

30,000 (****!)

Have you taken it to the dealership service center to have it looked at? Did they confirm a p030x error code? (if yes, please answer #5)
No

Did they resolve your problem? Did they attempt to fix/replace anything? Did they call Mitsubishi Tech Line to get an answer? What did Tech Line suggest/say? (please answer all of these)
NA

76..91 (Cali)

What has the weather been like where you live? Optionally tell us your city/state. Please be specific, as in "First noticed the misfire when it was a dry, 40 degrees F outside... has continued to plague me unrelentlessly as temps went from 40 to -20 to 60, wet/dry/snowy/icy/whatever."
Warm and dry, about 75-80

If you have any miscellaneous details to add, please add them below THIS question only. Things such as any random technician's comments, any chats with MMNA, any district representative experiences, anything you may have tried to resolve this problem.
just changed all driveline fluids, and replaced plugs (NGK BPR8ES/.24)...nothing changed....WORKS tells me it could be some "harmonic resonance" coming from tranny/clutch
Old May 6, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Get that this to the dealer before it gets worse. As long as they can duplicate it they will most likely fix it even with the mods.

Originally Posted by cokofellah

Yes.
HKS RS Intake, JIC Headers, DNP O2 Housing, Perrin downpipe/catback, Random Tech High-Flow cat, Linneage Grounding Wires, Blitz TT, XFlash/XEDE

30,000 (****!)

No

NA

76..91 (Cali)

Warm and dry, about 75-80

just changed all driveline fluids, and replaced plugs (NGK BPR8ES/.24)...nothing changed....WORKS tells me it could be some "harmonic resonance" coming from tranny/clutch
Old May 6, 2004, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with Bob, get it to the dealer. It _IS_ a resonance from the tranny, see this thread for more info:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=p0300

Quick Reply: p0300 misfire compadres: take a survey