Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

p0335 p0340 2005 evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p0335 p0340 2005 evo 8

2005 evo 8. once in a while, only at night it seems my evo will misfire then stall out. the three times its happened to me it was at a downshift and it was damp outside too. i pull both the p0335 and p0340 codes. i clear the codes, wait 20 minutes and the car starts up acting normal. it seems to go a couple weeks with daily drivingthen does it again. i looked at the cams and it looks like one may have moved (adjustable hks cam gears) but i dont know if they advanced anything while tuning. im kind of at a loss. it runs really good and doesnt seem to have any issues until this happens. my battery is good. brand new ets mini battery. any help is appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 03:04 PM

I was getting the same fault P0340. I would get it every time I would wash my Evo 9.
Just last week, I would get it and I wouldn’t be able to start my car after a drive cycle.
Replaced the Exhaust Cam sensor (150K Miles original sensor) and no longer get the fault.
I hear due to the heat, the sensor goes bad. I opened the old sensor and found corrosion in the small circuit board, water intrusion. Very easy to take apart, no seal/gasket between the housing and circuit board. I will apply a light coat of rtv around the seams of my cam shaft sensors.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 03:05 PM

Old Mar 14, 2018, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you ever figure it out? i’m having the same codes too and mine keeps dying at idle. i’m about to change the cam sensor and see if timing maybe jumped
Old Mar 15, 2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by emma_ria
did you ever figure it out? i’m having the same codes too and mine keeps dying at idle. i’m about to change the cam sensor and see if timing maybe jumped
I replaced the Exhaust cam sensor, and car has been drivOng without incident since!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 07:38 AM

I still haven't figured mine out. I changed out the cam sensor with no luck. Eventually ill do the crankshaft sensor and see if that'll work. It's annoying.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryoung1228
I still haven't figured mine out. I changed out the cam sensor with no luck. Eventually ill do the crankshaft sensor and see if that'll work. It's annoying.
I never updated this but I got mine to run perfectly again! I think i got those codes in the first place because my car shut off 3-4 times in a row and i had to quickly turn it back on each time, as I was in traffic. So i guess the constant dying tripped my car out. I changed out the cam sensor and it did nothing. I put in a new idle air control valve, and my evo has been problem free since! Definitely try it
Old Apr 3, 2018, 08:39 AM

Which camshaft sensor did you replace?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BertoC1208

Which camshaft sensor did you replace?
the exhaust one. And it stalled out again. Cleared codes, waited 20 minutes then it fired up like nothing happened. I'm going to clean the old sensor and swap it with the intake one. From my understanding they are the same. But i hit a little puddle just before it stalled out.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by emma_ria
I never updated this but I got mine to run perfectly again! I think i got those codes in the first place because my car shut off 3-4 times in a row and i had to quickly turn it back on each time, as I was in traffic. So i guess the constant dying tripped my car out. I changed out the cam sensor and it did nothing. I put in a new idle air control valve, and my evo has been problem free since! Definitely try it
thanks. I'll take a look at that. Did you have any other symptoms when the idle air intake valve popped out? Ie p0401 code?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 09:21 AM

the exhaust one. And it stalled out again. Cleared codes, waited 20 minutes then it fired up like nothing happened. I'm going to clean the old sensor and swap it with the intake one. From my understanding they are the same. But i hit a little puddle just before it stalled out.
the sensor is a magnetic sensor. You can clean the outside (housing) but I don’t think it will make a difference if the internals are corroded (see the photos I posted on this thread) Keep us posted!
Old Apr 3, 2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BertoC1208

the sensor is a magnetic sensor. You can clean the outside (housing) but I don’t think it will make a difference if the internals are corroded (see the photos I posted on this thread) Keep us posted!
ill keep eveyone posted for sure. I saw those pictures. When I switch out the intake sensor I'm going to take that one apart and see if theres anything going on internally. Other than that, should there be oil in the housing that the exhaust sensor goes in to? I've heard mixed things about it.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:01 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts
I know that on my car (I have an aftermarket turbo and exhaust runner) the exhaust cam position sensor gets hot because it is very close to the heat. This may be damaging the internals of the sensor.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jp7
I know that on my car (I have an aftermarket turbo and exhaust runner) the exhaust cam position sensor gets hot because it is very close to the heat. This may be damaging the internals of the sensor.
ive swapped the sensor with an oem new one and it still happened
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:14 AM

ill keep eveyone posted for sure. I saw those pictures. When I switch out the intake sensor I'm going to take that one apart and see if theres anything going on internally. Other than that, should there be oil in the housing that the exhaust sensor goes in to? I've heard mixed things about it.
The sensor magnet is technically an internal part. The cam sensor wheels are inside the valve cover and you will have oil splashing inside, so you will have oil on the sensor housing (the part that’s inside the valve cover) oil won’t affect its function.