Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed Denso Iridium Plugs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SILVER SURFER
Oh, I set them to .030" or .75mm, they seem to work fine up to 22PSI. Just be careful not to apply pressure to the lower electrode. I can't really say that I noticed any benefit from extending the gap, so you might just want to leave them where they are.
Thanks for the help SILVER
Old Apr 8, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet,

I have the same plugs also from Z1 that I got last fall. I didn't install them yet. I had some problems trying to gap a set of iridium NGKs in my wife's WRX (broke 1 ), so I was hesitant to try and change the gap on these. Sounds like the pre-set gap will be fine. Per Adam at Z1 I think they are pre-gapped to .028, right?

My Helix DP and Walbro should be here early next week, so I'll throw these plugs in as well.

Take care,

FB
Old Apr 8, 2004, 05:19 PM

are the plugs made for another vehical?

I ask because I look at the Denso web site previuously and asked the rep at SEMA and they said that there is no plug made for the EVO yet?

can you use a plug made for a similar vehical?

I don't know too much about this thats why I ask
Old Apr 8, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

FYI, wonder if you guys used plugs that are made for turbos ?? Dunno what you call them .. but the ground strap is like a thin wire and the entire electrode is sunken inside the plug .. the newer Ralliart plugs and Denso plugs uses these .. they are like 2 steps colder than norm ...

Datalog with these plugs I get around 8-10 from 5-6000rpms .. but 17-19 timing from 6-7500rpms .. boost is peak at 21 from 4-6000rpms tapering to 19psi after that ..
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:01 AM

bump for questions
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Here is one,

Why do you want to get a step "colder" plug anyways?

Im getting new stock ones installed Tom. ,, Guess what $31/each.

They are getting them to me for $21 thou.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

a step colder plug will remove heat better than a stock plug. The reason why you would like a step colder plug if you have improved the performance of your car. The harder the car runs, the more heat is generated in the cylinders because of the power increase.

Adam from Z1 had told me that alot of people with EVO's running similar mods to mine are running a range colder plug.

I will pull the plugs tonight and snap some pics for everyone to see what they look like after 500 miles. I pulled one just the other day just to get an idea and the burn seems to be good.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 06:53 PM
Account Disabled

The idea behind a colder plug is simple - it pulls heat from the combustion chamber (hence why its called a colder plug) which reduces the chances of detonation.

Once you start getting into the 300 + territory, a colder plug is a good idea IMHO.

The Denso Iridium's we sell are the same as the several tuner brand plugs (Denso makes the HKS ones fo example), Though more expensive than conventional copper, they are much cheaper than going HKS.

as for the gap, the IW24 comes pregapped from Denso at.028, whcih tends to be perfect for most Evo's.

Some may need a bit lower of a gap if they are plagued by poor octane gas (CA), but we have found the stock gap that they come at are just about perfect 95% of the time.

However, and we cannot stress this enough, you MUST check the gap before installing them in the car. Better off to find out before they go that they are perfect, or if not, to regap as needed.

Hope this helps! Her is teh link to read about the plugs:

http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ine&prodid=252

Adam
Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I actually gapped my denso's at .026 which eliminated a misfire I was having at higher RPM on cold days with really dense air..

Actually when I got mine, two were pre-gapped at .026, and the other two were .028

you can certainly gap as high as .030 but I found that my misfire on cooler days came back when I did.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
The idea behind a colder plug is simple - it pulls heat from the combustion chamber (hence why its called a colder plug) which reduces the chances of detonation.
Okay, this is a good chance for me to learn something. When you say it pulls heat from the combustion chamber, where does it pull it too? I doubt that a spark plug can "hold" much heat compared to the cylinder wall, but maybe my thinking is off. That must mean it pulls heat from the fuel/air mixture, but I still don't understand where the heat is dissipated. Could you explain this for me?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like the NGK is an extended tip plug and the Denso is not above and beyond being colder.

I wonder how many horsepower the Denso is worth on the dyno.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:14 PM
Account Disabled

I doubt you will see increase in HP on dyno,and if you do it is so minimal,but the important thing is that the heat in the combustion
chamber is lower.Here is a link to specs of this plug http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cr...66&action.y=6.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

a plug contains porceline...(excuse the spelling) a colder plug has mor porceline to remove the heat. I believe the heat will just be removed through the head of the engine and out the exhaust
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:08 PM
Account Disabled

Supercharged got it maninly right. The colder plug pulls heat from the combustion chamber, reducing the chances for detonation. From there, the heat is funneled through the ceramic insulator and metal portion of the plug and into the head. Since the head has coolant running throughout the passages in it, that heat is further dissipated.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

These look pretty sweet, just ordered a set

Quick Reply: Installed Denso Iridium Plugs