Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Installed Denso Iridium Plugs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main difference between the stock and a 1 step cooler than stock plug is the length that the center electrode protrudes past the threads. You will see as you go cooler and cooler on a plug, the center electrode and insulator are sunk further down into the plugs body. When the electrode protrudes further into the cylinder head it can retain heat from combustion and this hot electrode adds heat into the combustion process, which can in high cylinder pressures cause pre ignition. OEM engineers try to obtain a fine line between getting the right length on this, the longer the protrusion into the cylinder, the less likely the plug will get build up and eventual fouling. The additional heating of the electrode causes the spark plug to stay cleaner under normal driving. If you go too cool a plug the electrode doesn't get hot enough during normal (non spirited driving) to keep the electrode clean (fouling over time). You can clean a plug off like this for a little while, by making a few WOT runs, this cleans the electrode off.

A cooler plug doesn't pull heat out so much as it keeps the hot electrode further away from the combustion. This keeps it slightly cooler as well too. Too cool a plug and you may not get enough heat to keep them clean. Too hot a plug in a high horsepower motor can cause center electrode erosion.

Brian
Old Apr 14, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TURBODAWG
The main difference between the stock and a 1 step cooler than stock plug is the length that the center electrode protrudes past the threads. You will see as you go cooler and cooler on a plug, the center electrode and insulator are sunk further down into the plugs body. When the electrode protrudes further into the cylinder head it can retain heat from combustion and this hot electrode adds heat into the combustion process, which can in high cylinder pressures cause pre ignition. OEM engineers try to obtain a fine line between getting the right length on this, the longer the protrusion into the cylinder, the less likely the plug will get build up and eventual fouling. The additional heating of the electrode causes the spark plug to stay cleaner under normal driving. If you go too cool a plug the electrode doesn't get hot enough during normal (non spirited driving) to keep the electrode clean (fouling over time). You can clean a plug off like this for a little while, by making a few WOT runs, this cleans the electrode off.

A cooler plug doesn't pull heat out so much as it keeps the hot electrode further away from the combustion. This keeps it slightly cooler as well too. Too cool a plug and you may not get enough heat to keep them clean. Too hot a plug in a high horsepower motor can cause center electrode erosion.

thanks for the explanation

Brian
Old Apr 14, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TURBODAWG
A cooler plug doesn't pull heat out so much as it keeps the hot electrode further away from the combustion. This keeps it slightly cooler as well too.
Yes, thanks for the info. This makes sense to me, considering the high temperatures and relatively small mass of the plug I was having difficulty imagining that a "cooler" plug was doing much for transfering heat out of the combustion chamber. (Think about it.) However, keeping the electrode a bit farther away (and keeping the electrode cooler) makes sense.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else use denso iw24?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ive been using the Denso IKH24's just received my second set. i started using them after i installed the BBK Full and Cams. i was told that these were the one step colder plug for the IX. they seem to be pretty good, although i never did a before and after log to see any differences