Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pretty sure something is wrong with my rear diff

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019 | 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty sure something is wrong with my rear diff

Hey all, I've had a noise coming from what sounds like the rear right side for a couple weeks and I went under the car to check it out today. When I rotate the wheel back an forth it rotates about an inch or so in either direction before I notice the driveshaft move. On the opposite end there is much less play in rotation before the driveshaft moves. The resistance in the rotation in the "play" zone (before the driveshaft begins moving) is the same so I don't believe there is any issue with the wheel or hub that is causing this noise, but there is substantially more resistance in moving the wheel a full rotation on the right side than on the left, so I definitely think there is an issue in the diff itself.

It is a rebuilt diff from a pretty reputable source on here than I've had for about 3 years so I know I have to contact him, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.
Old Jul 10, 2019 | 07:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Noise from the diff would come from the middle of the car.

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing.
Old Jul 10, 2019 | 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

I do wish it was that easy, but it can be hard to judge sounds and everything points to the rear diff