Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help with 450 Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019 | 01:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 2Lejit
Not to hi-jack your thread, but since we're on the relative topic... Has anyone actually had issues with a Walbro 450 using the factory wiring, while on e85?
You're pretty much defeating the purpose of putting in a bigger pump if you don't do a rewire..
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 01:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Not to hi-jack your thread, but since we're on the relative topic... Has anyone actually had issues with a Walbro 450 using the factory wiring, while on e85?
It's a fair question, but if you draw more current from a system that wasn't designed for it longevity will be affected. You can hook it up to the factory wiring and it will run, but it will not work as well as the flow sheet shows. It can also cause your factory wires to run hotter than what was tested by design engineering at Mitsu. My current setup is relay to battery with the relays coil being excited by old fuel pump +. No issues so far. This makes it so that my fuel pump is full throttle all the time, which may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You're pretty much defeating the purpose of putting in a bigger pump if you don't do a rewire..
Originally Posted by Pal215
It's a fair question, but if you draw more current from a system that wasn't designed for it, longevity will be affected. You can hook it up to the factory wiring and it will run, but it will not work as well as the flow sheet shows. It can also cause your factory wires to run hotter than what was tested by design engineering at Mitsu. My current setup is relay to battery with the relays coil being excited by old fuel pump hot. No issues so far. This makes it so that my fuel pump is full throttle all the time.
That's kind of my thought on it as well. This pump was already installed when I bought the car but the factory wiring was used. Maybe it was fine on pump gas but with E85 and 30+psi I feel like this issue I'm having with a misfire, is probably due to low voltage and increased amps in the pump. Just getting too hot maybe.. You can make 1 or 2 hits through a few gears and it runs fine but after that, when you try and roll into it the engine just breaks up. When the fuel level is around 1/4 tank to 1/8th tank it not only does it do this after a few pulls, it also has a 2500ish rpm light misfire under little to no load (just cruising).

If you drive it and don't get into it, it doesn't seem to have these problems.

New denso 1-step colder plugs gapped to .023
New spoolin up COP kit
New ID1700's
New Fuelab FPR
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 02:07 PM
EvoM Guru

That's kind of my thought on it as well. This pump was already installed when I bought the car but the factory wiring was used. Maybe it was fine on pump gas but with E85 and 30+psi I feel like this issue I'm having with a misfire, is probably due to low voltage and increased amps in the pump. Just getting too hot maybe.. You can make 1 or 2 hits through a few gears and it runs fine but after that, when you try and roll into it the engine just breaks up. When the fuel level is around 1/4 tank to 1/8th tank it not only does it do this after a few pulls, it also has a 2500ish rpm light misfire under little to no load (just cruising).

If you drive it and don't get into it, it doesn't seem to have these problems.

New denso 1-step colder plugs gapped to .023
New spoolin up COP kit
New ID1700's
New Fuelab FPR

That very well could be the case. I would run an 8 awg minimum cable from the battery to the supply side of a pump relay to keep things consistent. If you have a sound system installed with at least a 4 gauge wire, then your job just got easier because you can tap off that using a distribution block. Just be sure to upgrade the fuse up front. Current doesn't like to flow through long thin wires at all.
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pal215
That very well could be the case. I would run an 8 awg minimum cable from the battery to the supply side of a pump relay to keep things consistent. If you have a sound system installed with at least a 4 gauge wire, then your job just got easier because you can tap off that using a distribution block. Just be sure to upgrade the fuse up front. Current doesn't like to flow through long thin wires at all.
Don't forget to upsize the fuel pump ground wire to at least the same size.
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Make sure to do a hi/lo voltage rewire with a Hobbs switch. Don't just do a straight hard wire.

No need for regulator, rail, or anything like.
I ran straight hardwire for a couple years(due to sheer laziness) with no issues and my pump has lasted. I'm sure I was overheating the fuel though. It's certainly a good idea to run a hi/lo but do you think it's necessary? I opted for a PWM setup anyway so I'm mostly just curious, the 450 doesn't seem to mind running full tilt all the time.
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Don't forget to upsize the fuel pump ground wire to at least the same size.
This is so often overlooked it's crazy. If you have a 8awg 12v and an 18awg factory ground don't even expect to get good current flow.
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
I ran straight hardwire for a couple years(due to sheer laziness) with no issues and my pump has lasted. I'm sure I was overheating the fuel though. It's certainly a good idea to run a hi/lo but do you think it's necessary? I opted for a PWM setup anyway so I'm mostly just curious, the 450 doesn't seem to mind running full tilt all the time.
It's not for the pump, it's to have more appropriate fuel pressure for start up, idle, and low load. Which makes it easier to tune.
Old Jul 18, 2019 | 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

It's not for the pump, it's to have more appropriate fuel pressure for start up, idle, and low load. Which makes it easier to tune.
Ah fair enough. I personally never ran into tuning issues but I ran E85 most of the time so that's probably why.
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 04:26 AM
NP

Originally Posted by Kong Vaj
Hey so i have a question about buy the 450 fuel pump. i read a few forums that when u install the 450 fuel pump u have to customize it to fit it to the oem pump holder. like i might to trim a few of the plastic pieces to make the fuel pump fit. is that true. also would i need the rewired kit? Also i want to go E85 and regular fuel. What do i need to make it compatiable? help a brother out. Thanks

So pretty much is this kit a plug and play kit meaning i dont have to cut or trim the fuel pump holder if that make sense.

The kit i plan on getting if i need to rewired it.
https://stmtuned.com/collections/mit...e-deal-evo-4-9

Heres a video on youtube that shows how to modify the fuel pump housing.

Last edited by NP; Jul 19, 2019 at 04:27 AM. Reason: ..
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 07:30 AM

Yeah I will definitely be upgrading the ground as well. General consensus seems to be that the seat-belt bolt would be a good ground location.
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NP
Heres a video on youtube that shows how to modify the fuel pump housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgT_5WdRKA8
Good video. A few suggestions I have:

1) Spend 5 minutes to vacuum and dust off the fuel hanger cover surface before unbolting it. You don't want to get dirt in your tank by mistake! 5 minutes up front is worth the risk of fishing for dirt in your tank later!

2) Dont snip wires to solder and extend it instead. Keep it 1 piece from pump to connector for each wire. Try removing the clips from connector and swap on the oem connector. As Pal215 found out, heat shrink will fall apart in fuel tank and if you snipped both wires at same length, you risk shorting and will blow your fuse. In general, when solding wires I always cut at different lengths on each wire so they can't short when heatshrinks fail (because exposed wires are at different locations where one wire will always have the original protective plastic coating).
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer
Good video. A few suggestions I have:

1) Spend 5 minutes to vacuum and dust off the fuel hanger cover surface before unbolting it. You don't want to get dirt in your tank by mistake! 5 minutes up front is worth the risk of fishing for dirt in your tank later!

2) Dont snip wires to solder and extend it instead. Keep it 1 piece from pump to connector for each wire. Try removing the clips from connector and swap on the oem connector. As Pal215 found out, heat shrink will fall apart in fuel tank and if you snipped both wires at same length, you risk shorting and will blow your fuse. In general, when solding wires I always cut at different lengths on each wire so they can't short when heatshrinks fail (because exposed wires are at different locations where one wire will always have the original protective plastic coating).
Would be ideal if you could just not have any solder or crimps at all and fully terminated connections. Still don't understand why Walboro doesn't put terminals on their pumps and just permanently wires them.
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fox_IX
Would be ideal if you could just not have any solder or crimps at all and fully terminated connections. Still don't understand why Walboro doesn't put terminals on their pumps and just permanently wires them.
Because they want to sell you a $20 installation kit that connects to their plug and you wire the open end to your connector!
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 01:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Heat shrink can be held in place by just putting a small zip tie at either end. Then it doesn't slide out of the way when fuel causes it to expand.