Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock pressure plate + 6 puck combo, how much torque can it hold?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019 | 11:49 PM

stock pressure plate + 6 puck combo, how much torque can it hold?

I recently got my evo 8 tuned and am manking 391whp/350wtq. Currently my car has stock clutch at 106k and it's grabbing and holding fine doing highway pulls but I am sure it will be a different story when I go to actually launch it at a track. I have been looking into clutch kits but money is tight and it seems most choices are either stock replacement on the cheaper end or spending close to 600 for something that will hold more power than I need. I found a few threads about people running a stock pressure plate with a 6 puck disk, giving it a stock clutch feel but added torque capacity. I am just wondering what kind of torque numbers could it hold? My car is mainly daily driven but I just want something to hold a launch here and there.
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

as much as the stock one is rated? a little more would be my guess because of the stock PP. why not just get a new performance clutch set up since you will be pulling it apart anyway?
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

If money is tight, the smartest thing is to do is wait til you have enough money to buy a good performance clutch, buy both pressure plate & clutch.
The stock pp will soon give up, so like Bhsj13 said, you're going to pull apart Again.....
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

There's no reason to run a pucked clutch at that power level on the street. Especially with a stock pressure plate. Either run factory setup or get an aftermarket disc and plate.
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

yes like we all said. save a bit and get a good clutch set up. i have the ACT HDSS with the full face disk with my stock flywheel. a much improvement over stock clutch and i love it! you will be fine with the same set up and as for launching, you will be fine if you know what you are doing. but its a great DD clutch set up. my stocker went around the same mileage as yours.
Old Jul 19, 2019 | 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
yes like we all said. save a bit and get a good clutch set up. i have the ACT HDSS with the full face disk with my stock flywheel. a much improvement over stock clutch and i love it! you will be fine with the same set up and as for launching, you will be fine if you know what you are doing. but its a great DD clutch set up. my stocker went around the same mileage as yours.
This is a phenomenal setup for street and light track.
Old Jul 21, 2019 | 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

OP, have you decided what you are doing?
Old Jul 21, 2019 | 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
OP, have you decided what you are doing?
Probably just going to stick it out and get a aftermarket set. Hopefully a sale goes on soon, work has been slow This year.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Jul 22, 2019)
Old Jul 22, 2019 | 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

good decision. you wont regret it i promise!