Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo 8 Transmission final gear damage/ chipped

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019 | 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

evo 8 Transmission final gear damage/ chipped

Hoping for help from the evoM community. I was in process of changing my clutch in my evo 8. So I thought that there is perfect time to open my transmission and change my synchros for carbon synchros. I did not had any grinding problems or anything like it with the old ones I just wanted to upgrade. After I opened my trans I found out that my final drive gear is chipped. I sent those pictures to 4 different reputable transmission shops. 1 shop said that this gear need to be changed and 3 other shops said to paper sand the sharp edges and I can reuse the gear again. What I found out that my clearance and preload on my input/output shafts was not done properly (previous owner), that might be the reason that the gear has been chipped. Do you guys think if I install correct shims to do correct clearance/preload I can reuse that gear and the gear will not continue to chip? Thanks!

Old Dec 7, 2019 | 09:39 PM
EvoM Guru

You should have it magnafluxed. Good bet it's cracked and likely needs replaced.
Old Dec 16, 2019 | 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

I have my low mile oem factory final drive from my Evo 8 if you’re interested. Never had an issue with it - only replaced it for a different gear ratio