Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch/Decel/ Letting off gas to quickly?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2004, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch/Decel/ Letting off gas to quickly?

I couldn't think of a better description...lol sorry guys. Anyway my question is has anyone else noticed that if you back off the gas to fast at low speeds that there is a "bouncy" kind of feedback (like the tranny/clutch is jerking) Is this signs of premature clutch ware? I already replaced the *!#kin clutch once and I reallly don't feel like doing it again... Also to anyone that has done the clutchline/restictor removal and has put in a new stocker....hows it holdin up?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I know exactly what you are talking about!! I think its just the nature of the car. I drove my EVO and right after I drove my friends STI HARD through the twisties. The STI exhibits much less of that jerky feeling (I think the suby tranny could be superior gasp!!)

BTW I have the restrictor removed and the SS clutch line in.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 12:38 PM

I dont think its the clutch, i think its just the way the evo is too. I have the Exedy hyper single now, jsut got it, and its jerky just like the stock clutch.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

this only happens to me in higher gears when going rather slow, like 5th gear at 30-40mph
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

That would be the clutch NOT slipping that is causing the herky jerky feeling when you suddenly let off the throttle. But you are putting undue stress on the driveline....which could lead to failures down the line.

The Evo really rewards those with a smooth driving technique.

SC~
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

I know what he's talking about and it's sometimes very hard to avoid in traffic situtations. It is the car (I've driven MANY manual vehicles) and the evo can get real "jerky" sometimes. You'll learn over time not to rest your foot on the accelarator. This will help immenesly. You just gotta baby it sometimes. ;-)
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Might this be caused by sloppy motor mounts? I used to have the same feeling in my dsm, once I went to prothane mounts it went away. Of course all my fillings fell out of my teeth as well I've noticed the same jerky feeling myself as well in the EVO, planning on trying stiffer mounts in the future.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:39 PM

If its where you go WOT one second, then completely let off; if thats jerk. thats normal. I've had that on the evo (very little) and my former 951 (which could out-jerk anything IMO)
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

nah, mine is nowhere near WOT, like I said, 5th gear, 30-40mph, MAYBE 10% throttle, and let of, no jumping out of it, just a normal letting off, it will shutter maybe once out of every 10-15 times of doing this.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

My car does this too, at first I wondered about it, since I have never felt it with any other (2WD) stick car I've driven. I think it's the profound mass of the AWD drivetrain, combined with the responsive suspension settings on the car. Actually I've found this deceleration "buck" comes in quite handy in autocross, as it helps you actually rotate the tail out around a corner under hard deceleration in 2nd gear. Quite magical! Makes my wife sick though on the way to work sometimes if I'm driving like a tool
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

I dunno, I never experienced this in the 5 years of owning my GVR4, in all states of tune, with a multitude of different clutches, from stock, all the way to an unsprung 3 puck.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah GVR, I think we are talking about different things. NYRED mentioned backing off the gas too fast at "low speeds," I'm assuming he's talking about 1st or 2nd gear. You are talking 5th gear partial throttle, letting off and getting a buck, can't say this has happened to me. Maybe you better (hate to say this) have the dealer look at it in case it could be a warrantied repair.
Good luck!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

It has to due with fuel delivery. The Sti is kind of fly by wire regarding the throttle, on the Evo, it is very precise according to driver input on the throttle. It's a natural thing with the car, but if it does it all the time, it's the drivers fault for not being smooth. The car is telling you that you are using your throtle incorrectly!
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My evo4 does the same thing in low gears at low speed, so does my parents evo8 and old evo7.
Its just the way they are, just put your foot down to make it go away .
Old Apr 13, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, the problem definitely goes away if you just push the far right pedal all the way to the floor. In fact, an opposite problem emerges, where the car bucks in the opposite direction, lunges forward and the back of my head suddenly hits the seat. And then my wife goes "NATE!!!"
Cant....seem....to...control....my foot!

Quick Reply: Clutch/Decel/ Letting off gas to quickly?