Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Weakness?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transfer Case Weakness?

God has this been a difficult choice. Of course I mean the choice between the EVO and the STI, and now the EVO MR.

Seems like with a stout motor and better handing I have to go with the EVO.

I've been around the local race scene for many years and one thing that terrifies me is the weakness of the transfer case in the venerable drive trane of the EVO. The AWD DSM's on the street, and at the track where dropping trannies faster than I could ever spend.

I'm moving on from an '97 Integra Type-R. Now you really could beat the shiz out of it's cluth and tranny all day long hard launching and never have an issue, never. I even had the tranny repaired under warrantee, no problem.

So the EVO is obviously a sports car, so you would expect it to be launched and driven hard etc. Now I read scarey things on this forum like the dealerships have a habbit of not replacing the transfer case/clutch when they go out, and it's not hard to get them to break if you drive hard. What am I going to do with an EVO, deliver groceries?

Well what did mitsubish expect with a 271 hp car? If I walked into Honda, or Subaru with a borken tranny, no discussion, fixed, done.

I'm really fearful of how Mitsubishi warrants their products. 10 year drive trane warrantee on 2004 models? Right. Seems like they will be spending a lot on a many broken evo's down the road.

I guess at the end of the day, it's this TC issue that scares me, I know the Subaru dealership here is much more customer oriented about things like warantee issues. I also here their trannies can handle launches a lot better.

Is there an aftermarket upgrade for the EVO TC to make it more stout?

I'm wondering what peoples experiences are with Mitsubishi's so called warantee on this? I just can't stomach the idea of them selling a 271 hp car and not expecting it to be launched, it is a race car afterall.

The STI may not handle like the EVO, but I'm all about the customer being taken care of when stuff that is a known problem breaks, time and time again.

Help?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

There is too much too say about what you just posted but here is a start. First of all Subura warrenty is just as bad as Mitsu, if you can not drive properly and launch an AWD drive car wrong, no transfer case can surrvive. Espescaily 6k rpm clutch drops. As far as handling the STI does not compare and as far as a dependable engine I say Mitsu all the way. Just find ans STI that is putting out some of the power EVO are putting down. Well that about all I have to say. Ohhh and one last thing there is no MR you meen the RS.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

this topic has been beated to death, only few evo's have the problem, look at the poll on top of this forum
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

JD Powers would disagree. The Subaru 2.5 turbo motor is one of Wards 10 best best engines and JD Powers gives much higher marks to Subaru quality. Nonetheless, the EVO is a much better handling car and frankly, the hood scoop on the STI is a little over the top. Don't listen to cheerleaders ( you know, kids living in their parents basement who know more JD Powers and Wards). Do your research, drive the cars and then decide.

Last edited by Cordwood; Apr 14, 2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:13 AM

No I mean the MR.

No I really do mean the MR.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...82696&mime=JPG

Well I would like to know what that best way to launch the EVO is, for an all out straight line brawl that is, without breaking it. Then maybe I'll be ok with buying it. I agree the motor is the toughest thing around.

Also, in Salt Lake City, you can not test drive wither a "new" STI or EVO. The EVO's are sold as soon as they come in anyways so I woul dhave to order mine. There are no used ones of either around for me to compare either, I've treid that route.

So what's this I read in Vishnu's site about the EVO on;y makes it's rated HP at 94 octane? I'm stuck with 91 octane here. Anyone got any comments on that? (can't fine the page right now)

-James

Last edited by jmacdonald801; Apr 14, 2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

I am sorry to spam this thread, but Mitsu already cut down on the production of the EVO and there are alot of chagnes going on with their company now. They are not looking at their sales towards our age group anymore thats not where the money is at they are looking at the camery owners and what not. It would be a bad financial mistake to continue to make the EVO let alone bring over a new model of it. I dont expect to see any 2005 EVO's
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:27 AM

yeah yeah yeah......jealous mitsu haters rear thier oogly heads. maybe that POS integra is easy on the clutch becaues it makes 88whp...on a very cold day
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Re: No I mean the MR.

Originally posted by jmacdonald801
No I really do mean the MR.

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...82696&mime=JPG

Well I would like to know what that best way to launch the EVO is, for an all out straight line brawl that is, without breaking it. Then maybe I'll be ok with buying it. I agree the motor is the toughest thing around.

Also, in Salt Lake City, you can not test drive wither a "new" STI or EVO. The EVO's are sold as soon as they come in anyways so I woul dhave to order mine. There are no used ones of either around for me to compare either, I've treid that route.

So what's this I read in Vishnu's site about the EVO on;y makes it's rated HP at 94 octane? I'm stuck with 91 octane here. Anyone got any comments on that? (can't fine the page right now)

-James
I highly doubt they'll bring the MR here with the poor sales of the initial Evolution, especially considering Mitsu's current financial situation.

If you don't want to break parts, eliminate driveline shock. That is always what kills driveline parts regardless of car. Don't do any clutch drops or power shifts.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:32 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Re: Transfer Case Weakness?

I'm moving on from an '97 Integra Type-R. Now you really could beat the shiz out of it's cluth and tranny all day long hard launching and never have an issue, never. I even had the tranny repaired under warrantee, no problem.
You said you can beat it without an issue, then you had it repaired under warranty which implies you broke it. So, which is it?
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: Transfer Case Weakness?

Originally posted by UFO

You said you can beat it without an issue, then you had it repaired under warranty which implies you broke it. So, which is it?
What I mean is I got 48,000 miles out of the tranny, 20,000 of which were with a turbo kit, and the issue that I "didn't" have was, Acuru replacing 2 syncro's under warantee

Yes they did me a favor since the turbo was obvious, but how can you beat that?

So all these review articles claiming sub-5 second 0-60, it would seem to me you would have to dump the clutch on an EVO to make it do that.

Of course I appreciate all this feedback, I need as much of it as I can get. It's no small amount of money to me to spend, even if I have it to spend.

-James
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:54 AM

It seems no matter any way you look at it, the EVO is a better deal anyway, and the motor is better for bolt ons, of which I few minor ones I will perfrom.

If the EVO tranny is no stronger than the STI, then I would have to soft launch either car to keep it in good shape.

At that poing, I guess it's EVO all the way.

Any objections I go down to Mitsubishi in two weaks and buy a nice shiny new '04 EVO when they get em in?

When I went from my GSR, to my Type-R, I didn't have to think about it at all. It's amazing how many better cars there are to choose from now.

-James
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:56 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: Transfer Case Weakness?

So all these review articles claiming sub-5 second 0-60, it would seem to me you would have to dump the clutch on an EVO to make it do that.
If you dump the clutch then your TC is gonna go bye bye probably. Slipping the clutch seems to yield best results. Of course, slipping the clutch = burnt out friction material = new clutch. It seems the best way to go is one of those twin plate carbon type clutch thingies. I had my clutch replaced at 6K with one of those non-twin plate non-carbon clutch thingies (ACT) and I hate it with a passion. I mean, I really really hate it. If I ever meet the guy who designed it then I would like to stab him in the eye with a pencil. In fact, I'm considering ripping it out and urinating on it just for personal gratification.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by turborrago
yeah yeah yeah......jealous mitsu haters rear thier oogly heads. maybe that POS integra is easy on the clutch becaues it makes 88whp...on a very cold day
yeah yeah yeah......jealous mitsu haters rear thier oogly heads...

Very mature. We are all car lovers here, what do I look like? a redneck in a mustang?

Integra Type-R, stock 161WHP
Last time I dynoed it, 300WHP (yes at the wheel) @ 9 psi.

Of course you want to know why I'm getting rid of it and the answer is simple. Turbo charging a Honda is an rediculously expeinsive love a affair that only hurts your pocket books in the end.

The EVO is obviously better suited for my needs as it has a stout turbo motor to begin with.

Last edited by jmacdonald801; Apr 14, 2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

The evo is designed to be a track car....not a straight out launch all you want rwd car. The strain of launching on awd is not even comparable to the strain of launching on rwd cars.....if you're looking for a car to beat on all day and launching the crap out of it, the evo is not for you....point is, no matter how good your techniques are on launching an awd, tranny elements will break...just depends on how much you do it and for how long. The reason is because (been discussed millions of times) that awd has so much traction and when you launch, all that shock has nowhere to go except straight into the drivetrain. I don't care what JD powers says....the subaru aluminum head that comes stock is not even comparable to evo's cast iron block, that's why you hear these subaru guys slightly modifying their car and blowing the engine. The sti's come nice and fast stock, this is true, but it is already pushing the limits of the stock block as it is. However, after you t-sleeve the subaru block, it is a total different story all together. I think the whole warranty thing has been destroyed because mitsubishi expects customers of the evo to race and beat on their cars....and turn to that suspicion when something goes wrong, despite the fact sometimes it could be just manufacturer defect...there are good dealerships out there, make sure you look for them. But it sounds like to me you should find another car for your application.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 12:13 PM

No I definitely want an allwheel drive car. For the few days that it snows here during the winter, I want to have a nice capable winter car. We also have the Rocky mountains and ski resorts, and having an AWD mountain car is a huge benefit to me.

I really am trying to get away from this purely straighline performance thing, I want something that is still fast and works well all year round in this variable climate. I think until the EVO came out, the Subie's owned the market in SLC, now it's the STI's that are sitting on the lot, not the EVO's.

I read the EVO sales might not be so great, but you can't find them here, amoung the 4 dealers we have, they sell out as soon as they come in.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Weakness?